Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Does anyone have any experience with an IUD in a 14 year old girl?

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM
  • 23 Replies

Our 14 year old Foster Daughter is and wants to be sexually active. She has been with us for 5 months and we have tried and tried and tried to discuss and discourage this type of behavior. She is only sexually active with one boy. Anyhow, she tried the Depo Shot and didn't like it. Our dr. has discussed an IUD for her and we both feel this is a good choice. Dr. states it can be put in once and left in for up to five years if she chooses. I am going to discuss this with her caseworker, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kameka
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM
I thought you had to have had a birth in order to get an IUD. I could be totally wrong though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momsthename0609
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldnt get a 14 year old an IUD there are way to many risks. I don't think it is even normally recommended for women who haven't had a child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamakee598
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, let me just say in the interest of full disclosure that I do not have a daughter.  And no experience with and IUD.  But I have a 14 year old son and I have pounded it into his head that whenever he decides to become sexually active that it is no way only the young woman's responsiblity to take care of birth control. He is to wear a condom always.  Will he always do it?  Probably won't, but I'll know that I planted the seed and I will make sure the condoms are easy for him to get.  My point?  If she is only active with one boy, why don't we talk about safe sex?  An IUD or Depo Shot will not protect her from STD's.  Since you all seem to comfortable in discussing the options, I think the boy should be included and everything should be on the table.  Just a thought.  Good luck. 

Zamaria
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My sister had a lot of complications from an iud and had to have surgery, even though her doctor told her it was very safe. I definately wouldn't recommend it for a 14 year old girl. Have you considered the pill or maybe the implant thing that goes in her arm! I'm not real familiar with the implant, but the pill is something you could probably make sure she takes daily.
My main concern would be her sexual activity, especially without protection from stds. Even if her boyfriend is faithful now, that doesn't mean he has always been, and often men have no symptoms of stds. I would be very concerned about that. I'd also be very concerned about the fact that she is having sex at 14. That's really young to be having sex, especially if she knows you are aware of it and you have asked her not to do it. I would think that there may be a problem that she is trying to solve by having sex. Low self esteem? Stress? I don't know. But if she isn't seeing a counselor, I would get her to one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Never, and IUD puts a adolescent at greater risk for IUD based infections, which can lead to infertility. Planned parenthood won't even do it except in extreme cases.

Go with an implant.

sabrtooth1
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

There is too much risk of infection and uterine perforation with an IUD in a child.  Why don't you try NOT LETTING HER OUT OF YOUR SIGHT EXCEPT FOR SCHOOL, and telling the boy to get lost?  ALLOWING sexual behavior at 14 is simply foolish, IMHO.  If she is carefully supervised, she should NOT have the opportunity to have sex.  My children certainly did not.  We took them to school, we picked them up from school, took them to their extras, picked them up from their extras, they did their chores, homework, practice, watched a little TV with the family, and fell into bed.  We talked about sex, birth control, STD's, self worth, college, supporting a child, healthcare, and they went on birth control at 16. 

And as another poster mentioned, birth control will NOT protect her against STD's.  Instead of birth control, get her the Guardisil vaccine, and EXPLAIN how her life will change if she contracts HPV, Hep B or C, Chlamydia, Syphilis or any other STD.  At 19 for one kid, and 24 for the other, with their first and exclusive partner, which is what happens to  30% of women today, each contracted HPV and cervical dysplasia.  10 years later, my daughter ruptured her cervix during the birth of her FIRST child, due to scar tissue, and lost 1/4 of her blood volume in about 5 minutes.  They saved her, and the baby, but why take the chance?

bizzeemom2717
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:21 AM
I would get a second doctors opinion, preferably an obgyn. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Manth
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:07 AM

I had an IUD inserted when I was 28, before I had kids.  It was EXTREMELY painful to insert and hurt for several days afterwards.  I liked the 'set and forget' nature of it but it really messed up my system a lot.  I went from having periods that lasted 5 - 7 days to having periods that lasted up to 21 days within a few months of having it inserted which really messed up my sex life (I had it inserted because I was getting married in a few months and can't take the pill for medical reasons).  In the end I had it removed after 18 months because I just couldn't take the side effects of long, painful crampy periods all the time.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:17 AM

This.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I would get a second doctors opinion, preferably an obgyn. Good luck.

zannahdeux
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Personally I would not. I agree about the risks, one of which is it piercing through the uterus which may cause her not to be able to have kids when she is older. What did she not like about the depo shot? also what about nuva ring which you change monthly or implanon or Nexplanon which are inserted under the skin and last for five years? I would also buy her condoms...explain that while SHE may only be having sex with one person you can never be guarenteed who this guy is also having sex with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN