Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sad news for Christmas...

Posted by   + Show Post

Christmas morning was going along beautifully, when I got the call from my Dad.  They live 14 hours away from us.  So I was thrilled to hear my Dad's voice say "Merry Christmas!"   We happily talked about Christmas morning and the grandkids, then he put my mom on the phone.  The conversation started out normal, she was telling me about thier plans for the day, going to see my Grandparents, who are in their 90's, and my Aunt and Uncle.  Them my mom started to act confused, she stopped responding and then told me she didn't know what she was doing.  My Dad got on the phone.  He told me that last week my mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, she is already an epileptic, has been since she was a young girl.  This is devistating.  My dad told me that she refused medication, he said she thinks she is in denial.  I wanted to try to talk to her, but she was too confused.  I will be planning a trip home very soon. ;(   I am very worried about her.  She already has nerve damage in her back, her ears(she wears hearing aids) and who knows where else from life long epilipsy.   I feel so helpless ;(

by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Replies (11-18):
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Dec. 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Quoting tyfry7496:

I agree. I worked with people who suffered from Parkinson's, Pics and Alzheimer's. do some research on your own.

Quoting lancet98:

Both of the above comments are wrong in that Parkinson's disease can cause confusion like you described.

And Parkinson's disease ALSO can cause dementia.

However, you did not describe behavior that suggests dementia, but confusion.   'I don't know what I'm doing' is confusion.   There is a fine line between the two but it is nevertheless there.

'Dementia' is actually a descriptive word, dementia is a symptom(produced by many different diseases) - it refers to forgetfulness mainly(but also some confusion and anxiety is inevitable with forgetfulness)- Alzheimers is an example of a disease that produces dementia.   There are many different root causes of   dementia - vascular disease, Alzheimers, Picks disease, etc.

Parkinsons can not only cause the type of confusion you described, it can also eventually cause dementia.

While it is possible (anything is possible) that a person can have BOTH Parkinson's as well as Alzheimers or Picks or vascular disease, it is also possible that she ONLY has Parkinsons, and that is causing confusion...and some day, perhaps also dementia(forgetting).

I hope that you can encourage your mom to accept medication for Parkinson's.   She will have far better symptom control if she does.   Your dad may be able to apply for guardianship for her health care decisions, if she refuses.

WIth or without the help of medication, your family can learn ways to help her deal with Parkinsons.   She might accept medication after dealing with the symptoms without it for a while - all it may require is a little time for her to think it over.   Sometimes when your parents get sick they may be very stubborn at first about getting help.   A lot of the time, if you just don't push them too hard, they eventually will come around and agree to get help.

Sometimes it's more their doctor talking to them that gets through to them.   Sometimes because the doctor is a little removed from the situation, they will listen to him.   But yes, it can be quite a challenge to get parents to accept treatment.

I think there is a video Michael J Fox made to encourage ppl with Parkinson's to get help. Maybe you could get that.   Put check out the national Parkinson's organization's website - they do so many good things.

Correct!

mrjonesii
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Im so sorry I will say a prayer for her and you all today.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I'm sorry.

hugs

MusherMaggie
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Ask your dad to take her for a thorough neuropsychology workup to determne which conditions are causing which symptoms, and how best to proceed.
lancet98
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Ask your dad to take her for a thorough neuropsychology workup to determne which conditions are causing which symptoms, and how best to proceed.

Curious - why are you recommending neuropsych workup at this point?   The diagnosis of parkinsons doesn't sound like it is wrong.

lnrmom
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

JenniferSq
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM
My mom is also epileptic, since childhood. She sees a neurologist regularly. At least twice a year. It is difficult and frustrating trying to get details from my father. I am going to try my hardest to get up there to go with her to her next appointment. My dad is so prideful about taking care of her. Every offer I make, no matter how delicately I broach the subject, he takes as a personal attack on his ability to care for her. I think he has become an alcoholic over the last several years after he was forced into early retirement. Thankfully my younger brother lives nearby them. I am going to contact him in hopes of gaining some more insight.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaitybird
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Hugs to you.  Treasure every moment with your mother, as it is gone all too soon and before you are really ready for it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)