Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Share Your Solutions: When Should Teens Start Working

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • 18 Replies

Having a job when you’re young helps you learn responsibility, time and money management, people skills, etc. – all important things to know as you grow up and get into the “real world.” But when is the right time for your teens to start working? Is there a specific age that's good? A certain grade? 

Please share your experiences and suggestions here!

To see some of the most helpful answers from CafeMom members on this topic, visit this Advice page: At what age should teens start working?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mgm_5
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM
my kids will be active in sports and will be too focused on their studies they will not be getting jobs until they are out of college
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

My dd chose to get a part time job when she was 16. She didn't have to get a job, she wanted to.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM

i think it depends on the child.  my oldest was involved in school and club sports up until last year, then it was studying for sat/act and college apps.  she will be getting her first job second term of senior year.

my son may or may not follow in suit depending on his sports and school.

I think first priority should be school, second sports, third job/volunteering.  I dont think a job should take priority over school/sports unless the family needs the income.  HOWEVER, if the child doesnt have a reasonable concept of money than a job might be needed for them to get a dose or reality.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My opinion is at age 16 you should get a little job, working up to 10 hrs/wk when school is in session, more during breaks. Most kids aren't in a school sport every season, and in the months you aren't in a school sport, it benefits them to have a part time job, like a friday after school shift, or a sunday afternoon shift, waiting tables or selling popcorn at the movie theater. You can still study, do some extracurriculars and go out with friends, while having a small little weekend job. And the skills you learn (show up on time, regardless of whether you're in the mood, manage your time, be polite even if the customer isn't, managing the nervousness of a new position, etc, is invaluable).

just_hc
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Each child is different.  My son got a job when he turned 16.  He played no sports so he was expected to get a job.   My daughter will be 16 in June.  She will not have time for a job.  She's a competitive dancer and is at practice 4-5 days a week.  

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I agree that it depends on the teen. My sister and I babysat b/c we enjoyed it, and the extra money we got from it.

Ds1, once he's old enough for a work permit (so, only a few more months, much to his chagrin), will be working a little in our coffee shop, but that's more b/c it's a family business. If we did not have the shop, I don't think I'd be encouraging him to get one.

If we still have the shop when ds2 and dd are old enough, it will be the same w/ them.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I also think it depends on the teen.

School comes first, no matter what. If a job interferes with grades, it's not worth it.

If a teen has advanced classes and/or plays sports, then they might not have the time for a job. I think those interests should be a higher priority at that age.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

It depends on the child. My DD does her life guarding training this upcoming summer. This will help her get a job in two summers. I think it's important for teens to learn responsibility with a job but I see my DD learning those same lessons with her sports and other school clubs.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I didn't work till after hs except for one summer. Our girls didn't work in hs either. Dh did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM
School is my teen's job and he needs no other. I'd prefer he concentrate on school and being a teenager. Work can come later, he'll have years to work. He does have responsibilities at home though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)