Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Impending Empty Nest

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm new here. I'm wondering if anyone else is dealing with empty nests? My youngest is 17 and heading off to college in the fall and I'm already freaking out!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM
We were new empty nesters this year. First couple months were an adjustment, but we are used to it now and love it. We anticipted it for years and the girls had been bisy and gone a lot.n. I think that helps too. We have always enjoyed every new phase of our daughters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momm2dands
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:32 PM
I can't imagine enjoying it. Any suggestions for preparing for it?
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
My DS is in his second year of college 6 hours away. I do have a younger DD who is 15 but my good friend is now an empty nester with a son the same age. I would try and stay as busy as possible with outside activities you enjoy. This is the time in your life when you can really reflect and feel PROUD, (I really try and focus on this when I am missing my DS) I mean, this is what we worked for as parents right?

Quoting Momm2dands:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:14 AM
We were married 7 years before we had kids so we now get to remember times and do things before we had kids. We have always done things with each other, as a couple which is good. We didn't make our kids our only focus.

Quoting Momm2dands:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:28 AM

I'm not close to being an empty nester yet. My 19 y/o is still at home and our sons are 10 and 7. At this point an empty house sounds wonderful but I'm sure that will change when our kids start moving on.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not even close but I am preparing for it.  I have a wonderful dog who will be at his life expectancy around the time my youngest leaves so I will be hit with a double whammy.  So we have been looking into a puppy so I can have another established family member.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:44 AM
I have a 3 yo dog who keeps me company. She is a wonderful lap dog.

Quoting fantasticfour:

I'm not even close but I am preparing for it.  I have a wonderful dog who will be at his life expectancy around the time my youngest leaves so I will be hit with a double whammy.  So we have been looking into a puppy so I can have another established family member.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momm2dands
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone! I know I need to get a plan. I guess the new year is making it more real for me. The biggest problem is that my husband and my relationship really isn't the best. The idea of being left here with just him is not exciting to say the least. (Wow! That was honest of me! )
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM
That's got to be making it much harder. It is key to having a good time just the 2 of you while the kids are younger, to being social fun empty nesters.

Quoting Momm2dands:

Thanks everyone! I know I need to get a plan. I guess the new year is making it more real for me. The biggest problem is that my husband and my relationship really isn't the best. The idea of being left here with just him is not exciting to say the least. (Wow! That was honest of me! )

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM
No. My oldest is 14. Good luck, I hope you are able to eventually adjust and enjoy it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)