Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: i just found out that my 16 year old son...

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM
  • 20 Replies

i just found out that my 16 year old son had done meth. he did it last night and as a result didnt come home. he still isnt home. i am at a loss at how to deal with this.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm so sorry mama! That's a hard thing to deal with!
The worst part is that meth is highly addictive. First time can hook you. I would suggest getting him in to see a counselor with experience with drug addictions.
My DH was addicted to meth years ago. I hope you don't mind, but I asked his opinion, since he has dealt with this personally. He said "most people who try stuff like that are just looking for something to make them happy, make them feel good. They feel like something is wrong with them, something is missing. Only thing you can do, after you ground them, is find out what the problem is and fix it. It's not about the drug or the drink or whatever they're doing, it's about them trying to fix a problem. Drink and drugs don't fix it, but they do cover it up for a while. Makes them feel better for a little bit. But when they sober up, they have more problems because they have to deal with the guilt of what they did while they were drunk or high, and the fact that they got drunk or high in the first place. So they do it again. More and more, until they almost can't stop. So anyway, they need to talk to him and find out what's wrong. Not yell at him but let him know they want to help and then do help. Not just talk about it, do something about it."
I hope that helps some! We will be praying for you and your son! *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Scary. He needs help fast. Do you know where he is?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM

If you know where he is you need to go get him and get him some help ASAP.  

Quoting atlmom2:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Agree~ hugs!

Quoting fammatthews4:

If you know where he is you need to go get him and get him some help ASAP.  

Quoting atlmom2:

amonkeymom
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Since meth is very addicting, you need to talk to him when he gets home and you may need to get him to a doctor or clinic that specializes in helping kids with addiction.

Quoting mikita111:

i just found out that my 16 year old son had done meth. he did it last night and as a result didnt come home. he still isnt home. i am at a loss at how to deal with this.

mikita111
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Thank you all so much for the support. i dont know where he is. He has been in trouble with the law once, and as a result has an addictions counsellor he sees weekly, and a probation officer. i had taken him to 3 counsellors before that, and it didnt stick, so i was happy when  the courts stepped in and basically 'force' him to participate in sessions.  he insists there is nothing wrong, that he is fine, that he's in control etc, but i know it must be low self esteem and emptiness issues, but he tells me i am wrong. its just so frustrating watching a child makes bad choices.

rebeccasmly
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM
I am so sorry. I hope you find him safe. Is there a clinic nearby you can check him into? Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM

If he never came home how do you know he did meth?  And is there an amber alert out there for him?  Do you know where he is?

happysnappyJ
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I would say call the cops in right away. Meth is deadly, addictive, and I would err on the side of caution and throw the book at him now, before it gets worse. Get him into an NA group. 

gonecrazi
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM

When he gets home set him down and let him know it is not acceptable. Then he needs to be punished forstaying out so late and doing drugs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN