Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 15 year old daughter is cutting herself .

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:40 AM
  • 9 Replies

We just recently discovered that our 15 year old daughter has started cutting herself.When we try to talk to her about it she just cries and says she's stressed.She's a really good girl but doesnt like to go out much she would rather watch Tv play on her ipod or groom her american girl doll collection.What should we do?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ebbierowe
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Get her some kind of counseling .....she may not feel she can talk to you....15 is tough...they want so much to be seen as not a kid but they can't deal with the pressure of growing up and cause themselves undo stress. And they often feel like we as parents expect so much. She needs a neutral third party to talk to.

GL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wodntulk2kno1
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Get her some counseling, contact your local children's hospital most have wonderful programs on an outpatient basis. It usually is a 2 week program, but you have to call and ask. They will arrange for her school work to be sent and she will be around other kids who are dealing with issues themselves. Sometimes kids feel like they are the only ones dealing with an issue. I put my child in a program like this and it helped him alot. They also set you up with a psychologist for after care and most schools have outside agency's that come in as well and can help with numerous support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Find her a therapist/counselor.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM

This

Quoting mumsy2three:

Find her a therapist/counselor.

happysnappyJ
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Ger her into counseling. 

littlelamb303
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

my dd was doing the same thing.  It is really hard, because even when they stop, like my dd, she moved o to smoking cigs and ocassional pot use .  My dd has been in therapy for a long time and she is also on meds.  I am still having a hard time with her, even though she stopped cutting. Good luck.  My dd has scars on her and it is a damn shame, she is a beautiful girl

Redsalamander73
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I'm sorry to hear about this. I don't have any experience with cutting, but I read a lot about it in this group. It sounds like it's pretty common. Since it is so common there will be a lot of resources out there for you. I would contact as many people as possible and get her into counseling asap. Maybe even google "cutting" and you might be directed there as to where to go. Also, her high school probably has a psychologist on staff, contact them as well. I have a 15 year old boy, and I don't think it is a very easy age for them. If she will let you (my son is a little reluctant to at his age and being a boy), but give her lots of hugs. She needs you now more than ever

Also, I really don't think its uncommon for their age to be hanging out at home, I just thank God my son isn't out running the streets and getting into trouble. I much rather him be at home on his Xbox than out getting into trouble!!

Hugs to you!

FOREVERMOM123
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I also have a dd who is 15 and has cut herself since she was in 6th grade. She has been in counseling since then as well. She stopped for awhile and about a month or two ago did it again. First of all, the counselors will give her ideas of how to cope with her stressors in a more positive way. The problem is, she has to choose to use the tools given instead of falling back into the cutting. I do random body checks to make sure dd isn't cutting. We have a written set of rules which include a reward or consequence for undesired/desired behaviors. After the random check, either is given depending on the outcome. Another precaution is to not allow privacy to DD when you know she is upset and might harm herself. Depending on how severe it is you could take her to be evaluated by a mental health hospital. I wish you the best!

bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Counseling esp to address the reasons behind the cutting. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)