Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 15 yr old is addicted to tobacco and she has smoked pot a few times, please help me

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

She came to me today begging me to buy her cigs, that she is sick because she has not had one in a while.  I will NOT condone this, I will not contribute to her killing herself.  My mom died a horrible death from lung cancer and so did my uncle.  She said she does not care how long she lives.  She has been in counseling over a year and on anti depressants for a long time.  She experienced horror here, as her father is a filthy, abusive drunk.  She watched him hurt me etc.   I don't know what else to do. I am lost and I havve no one to talk to.  She told me she also smoked pot a few times.  She is heading down the wrong path and I know a lot of it is because of what she has been exposed. to.  What do I do? I don't understand these so called "addictions" because I smoked too and drank and NEVER got addicted to it, never.  When I wanted to stop, I just stopped.  She is obviously like her father, has to overdo everything. 

She is also a former cutter.  Scarred herself up terribly, stopped doing that and moved onto this.

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM
She needs counseling!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Sounds like she is addicted to at minimum cigarettes and yes addiction is a genetic disease, she may be very well struggling with other addictions, call an addiction hotline today and get some help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelamb303
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

She needs counseling!

she has been in counseling for over a year and is on meds.  I don't know what else to do.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Maybe inpatient is needed. New counselor. New meds???

Quoting littlelamb303:

Quoting atlmom2:

She needs counseling!

she has been in counseling for over a year and is on meds.  I don't know what else to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Misash103
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Wow I'm so sorry!!! If she's already addicted to cigarettes, there's not too much you can do at this point. If she has older people at school that could buy them, that's what she will do. At least she's honest with you and turned to you instead of friends. Keep her on the meds, keep her in counciling, let her know you love her no matter what. Addiction is a disease, one that takes a lifetime to overcome. If she is an addict, she needs loved ones around her who are supportive and understanding. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelamb303
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I have already checked into rehabs for teens.  I am panicking because I think things will get worse.  Hopefully I will find something for her.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I'm so glad that you smoked cigarettes and didn't get addicted to them and could quit when you wanted to, but for most people it is simply not that easy.  The fact that she's begging you to buy them means there is no one who is giving them to her.  That's good news.  Keep your foot down on it and explain that it not only endangers her life but also that of others around her.

LavenderMom23
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Discipline-Great-Teens-Guarendi/dp/0867168358

Good Discipline, Great Teens

cjsmommie98
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:57 AM

i agree keep the counseling and speak to her counselor about the best inpatient facility and see what they say,If she is a former cutter did she have inpatient for that?//

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:14 AM

get her some help, what bothers me more is the fact that she came to you to buy her some. I read that the problems here are even deeper then what is being said.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)