Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

how much do these activities cost at your child' s school

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 20 Replies

so my 2 girls are in cheerleading, my senior' s cheering cost $600 off the top and then they have done over 12 fundraisers. they had recycled uniforms from last year.  they do not do any cheering competitions, and only cheer for basketball. there is a different squad for the football team.

my other daughter is in 6th grade, her cheerleading also cost $600.  they also have recycled uniforms, but it would have been another $150 if your child couldn't find one from the previous year.  This squad does football and basketball, but they do not do any competitive cheerleading either.  they did not do any fundraising.

Am I the only one that thinks that these costs are over the top?????

One other thing. we are required to purchase insurance through t he school, whether we have private insurance or not, and that was an additional $50.

Any other moms paying these kinds of prices???

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tracy211
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

That's nuts!  It was going to cost about $300 for cheerleading for my daughter, so needless to say, we passed!  I'm not gonna pay that kind of $ for a 3 month season!  My son has played soccer, basketball, baseball, all for $50 or less and even football was only $150.  Why so much more for Cheerleading?  It doesn't make any sense!

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM

our high school doesnt have cheerleaders (no foot ball team)

my daughter played soccer and the fees were (trying to remember) $100 bus fee, $350 uniform fee, and I think there was one other fee.  But this was every year, so we had to pay for uniforms every year... even if they were the same uniform.

Momoftwinkies
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Ours is between $500 and $600 a year. Our dance is $500 every other year (includes camp) and $300 the other (no camp).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I don't have a daughter, but I do know parents with their kids in activities and yes, that sounds about in line with the norm for those activities. Makes me glad my son has utterly no interest in sports!

SuperLooneyMom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Wow looking at these posts I don't think my dd (6) will ever be doing cheer leading. Never knew it costs to be honest . My boys are in Boy Scouts only and the cost varies but on average 25-30 a month for both boys. Uniforms costs $50-$75 and can last for two years.
My dd is still early in Girl Scouts but the cost is about $4 a month depending on any activities.

HopesNDreams
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM
My daughter's was $400 for use of a uniform and warm up gear, plus another $150 (?) for camp. Her squad does football, basketball, and three local competitions. They did fundraising in September to cover competition costs - if each girl hit their goal, then there are no expenses for completions.
This cost WAY more than I thought it would.
MariannLws
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Yes, in Houston football and cheer leading costs a small fortune. Football in texas is a religion. Expect to pay a lot. 

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM

My DDs high school is $300 for the first season /sport, $150 for the second season/sport, and $100 for the 3rd. High school is very pricey. We had to cut out all club teams because public school is so much in fees.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM

yup when my daughter was in cheer in m.s it was at least that much plus skill camp and some competitions.The she joined the golf team lol that is very expensive .I think that avg about 1000 a year and she grad high school a couple of years ago.Didn't include clubs ,balls,gloves ,shoes etc.

Currently LAX is about 650 a season.Start up equip is around 3 to 4 hundred.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I couldn't afford that for my child.  I'm sorry but sports prices are outragious lately.  It's like that's how they make their money.  Why can't they run a refreshment stand or something and raise money that way to pay for the uniforms.  What's all the money for anyways?  They SELL tickets to these games, they SELL items like tshirts and stuff and they fundraise.  Where's all that money going to?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN