Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Share Your Solutions: What if Your Teen Says He or She is Gay

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 6 Replies

It’s great if your teen is comfortable enough to talk to you about his feelings, but what if you’re not sure how to handle what he’s saying. What do you say when your teen tells you he thinks he is gay? Have you experienced this? 

Please share your thoughts here!

To see some of the most helpful answers from CafeMom members on this topic, visit this Advice page: What do I do if my teen says he is gay?   

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I havent experienced this...

But I think the post title is rather off putting.  I think perhaps the portion of the title Share Your Solutions is used for many of your posts... but in this case I would alter the title.

Solution?  Suggests that this is an issue that needs to be fixed.  If your child is gay then he/she is gay.... they dont need to be fixed.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I've never experienced this personally.

First of all, if my son (or daughter) came up to me and told me I THINK I might be gay, I would first off ask him Why he thought that.  If I get, because girls don't get me, girls think I am, etc. then I would ask a very important question.  Who would you rather go to prom with, (insert female and male celebrity).  Opposite sex answer, well son, your not gay, don't listen to them, you'll find the right girl eventually. If the answer is a same sex, then the conversation goes like this:

Why who do you like?  Is he nice?  Is he cute?  Have I met him before?  Is he gay?  Be really careful, you need to know that he's gay before you ask him out. 

I personally don't care.  I have 4 kids.  I told them all and have told them repeatedly.  ONE of my kids MUST be straight, fertile, AND marry a straight fertile person so I can have grandkids.  I don't care which one of you it is, so long as I get a grandbaby!

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

AGREE ...very poor title

...here is what I would do if one of my children said they were gay...love them and support them the same way I love and support all my kids .Gay or straight not part of equation of this mom's love.

Quoting sahlady:

I havent experienced this...

But I think the post title is rather off putting.  I think perhaps the portion of the title Share Your Solutions is used for many of your posts... but in this case I would alter the title.

Solution?  Suggests that this is an issue that needs to be fixed.  If your child is gay then he/she is gay.... they dont need to be fixed.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I wouldn't be too surprised if it was my DS. If it was my DD well - the girls would be as strictly monitored as she is with boys due to her autism. I'm so  ready to lock her up lol!

Manth
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM

If one of my girls came out as lesbian - well, she would still be my daughter.  Who she loves is never going to change my love for her.  At the moment my girls are not interested in dating anyone but that could change at any point (they are 16 and 18 as of tomorrow) and I hope I would be supportive of their choices in life.

I do have gay friends and was there to support one of DD#1's friends as he came out to his family and friends.  Gay doesn't scare me one bit.

PurpleHazey
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Your child is your child forever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)