Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What are the signs of when a girl is close to getting her period for the 1st time

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
  • 21 Replies

I got a good feeling my 10 year old is very close.  but i'm curious from other moms what signs did you notice.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
A year or so after pubic hair was noticed was when mine started. One was 12, the other 14.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gaileey
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

i noticed with my older daughter (and the doctor confirmed) - the last thing usually around 6 months before it starts is armpit hair.

all the other signs breast buds, a little weight gain, leg/pub hair all came earlier - but right after the armpit grew in she got it that summer.

she was 13.  as was i.  my little one is almost 10 now and really shows no signs at all of puberty being anywhere close (other than her mood which really has always been sorta pms-y - since toddlerhood LOL)

Msgme
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Quoting Gaileey:

i noticed with my older daughter (and the doctor confirmed) - the last thing usually around 6 months before it starts is armpit hair.

all the other signs breast buds, a little weight gain, leg/pub hair all came earlier - but right after the armpit grew in she got it that summer.

she was 13.  as was i.  my little one is almost 10 now and really shows no signs at all of puberty being anywhere close (other than her mood which really has always been sorta pms-y - since toddlerhood LOL)

She has all of the above.  Pubic hair for about a year now.  Arm pit hair a cpl months. her boobs are noticible without some kind of bra.  Her moods are all over the place and she'll start crying at nothing then wonder why she's crying.  She was cramping yesterday. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a 12 and 14 year old that haven't started yet.  I did talk to the doctor about it and they told me if they have a lot of pubic hair then they are close.  They have also been going through pre PMS for a while.  I can wait.  Boy can I wait.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Yep, it will be soon if not this week.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Gaileey:

She has all of the above.  Pubic hair for about a year now.  Arm pit hair a cpl months. her boobs are noticible without some kind of bra.  Her moods are all over the place and she'll start crying at nothing then wonder why she's crying.  She was cramping yesterday. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Quoting fantasticfour:

I have a 12 and 14 year old that haven't started yet.  I did talk to the doctor about it and they told me if they have a lot of pubic hair then they are close.  They have also been going through pre PMS for a while.  I can wait.  Boy can I wait.

My 14 year old got it when she was about 11 but she was very private and I didnt even know for several months. I had done a really good job preparing her that she had no need to tell me.  I also was not aware of any of the begining signs of pubery other than her boobs that she did her best to deny she had for so long. 

Where as my 10 year old comes to me with every issue. And I don't really remember anything that i went thru. I just know I was 13 and we were on a car ride to Fla when it happened.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Thats exactly what I was thinking.    i went thru the basics with her again yesterday.  she left the house wearing a pad just in case.  she was crying last night tellng me she's not ready to be a woman and she wants to stay a kid and still be my baby girl.   As much as I was re assuring her that she's still my baby girl and will always be and she's still a kid the tears just kept coming.  Apparently she thinks my 14 year old is not still my baby girl.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Gaileey:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I feel so bad for the girls that start at 10 and younger. I was glad mine were 12 and 14. I was 13. I did not even talk to my girls about it till late 5th grade.

Quoting Msgme:

Thats exactly what I was thinking.    i went thru the basics with her again yesterday.  she left the house wearing a pad just in case.  she was crying last night tellng me she's not ready to be a woman and she wants to stay a kid and still be my baby girl.   As much as I was re assuring her that she's still my baby girl and will always be and she's still a kid the tears just kept coming.  Apparently she thinks my 14 year old is not still my baby girl.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Gaileey:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I started the talks kinda early.    when my older dd was in like 3rd grade is when she started with the questions.  which is around the time i started talking to my now 10 year old about it.  It was breaking my heart that she was so sad last night.  I just wanted to tell her it wasnt going to happen  but I couldnt.  She was asking if there was an age where it just stops and I told her yes.  she was fine with not asking what age but then my other dd had to chime in and say around 50. which of course brought on more tears.

Quoting atlmom2:

I feel so bad for the girls that start at 10 and younger. I was glad mine were 12 and 14. I was 13. I did not even talk to my girls about it till late 5th grade.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Gaileey:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I am 51 and its not ended yet. I have a few sporatic periods a year.

Quoting Msgme:

I started the talks kinda early.    when my older dd was in like 3rd grade is when she started with the questions.  which is around the time i started talking to my now 10 year old about it.  It was breaking my heart that she was so sad last night.  I just wanted to tell her it wasnt going to happen  but I couldnt.  She was asking if there was an age where it just stops and I told her yes.  she was fine with not asking what age but then my other dd had to chime in and say around 50. which of course brought on more tears.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Gaileey:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN