Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teens & friends

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 20 Replies
Do you allow your teens friends to visit your home? My niece has a 13 th yr old son. He ain't allowed to have friends over or visit anyone. He don't even attend school. He just stay in room play video games all day, or talk on phone. I have a daughter same age. I allow her to visit friends, have sleepovers. When her friends come over, they have to follow my house rules. I think its emotionally unhealthy, to deprived a child, of friends, outdoor, going to school. You have to let a child enjoy being a child. Let them have fun, play sports, go to movies, hang out at the mall. Kids also need to be physically active. Shouldn't be coop up in house all day playing games, feeding face.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course!   My teens do have lives.   I encourage them to invite friends over.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

this is our house. Anyone and everyone is welcome.

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Some kind of education is compulsory in most countries--from the US to Egypt;  Haiti to Cuba.   It is possible for parents to provide that education by homeschooling, although this is monitored for adherence to national standards.  If this child is NOT going to school, and NOT pursuing an approved homeschooling program, call the police.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

What do you mean by she doesn't allow him to go to school?  Is she homeschooling?  I don't know about most places, but here homeschoolers have to go elsewhere to take an end of course exam so that they can't cheat. 

As far as friends being allowed over, I prefer their friends being here as opposed to them being there but I don't stop either.  It's like this, I like to know their friends and they follow the rules in my house alot better than they follow their parent's rules!

hopealways4019
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM
She was homeschooling, I don't think she is now?

Quoting fantasticfour:

What do you mean by she doesn't allow him to go to school?  Is she homeschooling?  I don't know about most places, but here homeschoolers have to go elsewhere to take an end of course exam so that they can't cheat. 

As far as friends being allowed over, I prefer their friends being here as opposed to them being there but I don't stop either.  It's like this, I like to know their friends and they follow the rules in my house alot better than they follow their parent's rules!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Yes, I allow my son to have friends. He often hangs out with friends, both at our house and their house.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course. When they were in HS, we were the big non alcohol fun party house every weekend pretty much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Your niece is hindering her son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM

If she is preventing her child from getting an education, you might want to call CPS. Are you sure she isn't homeschooling him? There are some methods (like unschooling) that are very nontraditional.

Quoting hopealways4019:

Quoting fantasticfour:

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

If this is the case then having friends over is the least of this child's issues.  Is there a reason you are not stepping in and helping this family?

Quoting hopealways4019:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN