Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Help me stop worrying

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hi. I have a 13 year old son that had a swollen gland in his neck. Its has been there about a month. Its about the size of a ping pong ball.we went to the doctor today and she ordered blood tests for Monday. I'm going crazy worrying about this. The doctor didn'tsay very muchother then just having blood work done. Anyone ever been through something like this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
famof6
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

No but I wouldn't worry until they give you a reason to do so. Hang in there! fingers crossed

Lovemyboys1212
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Thank you

Quoting famof6:

No but I wouldn't worry until they give you a reason to do so. Hang in there! fingers crossed

Bertieb
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I had one as a teen, it wasn't that large but it turned out to be mono. Most likely it will be fine mama!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I have no experience with this. Sorry, and I hope it's something easily treatable.

mt0130
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

It could be mono or an infection in a lymph node. Has he been vacinated with mmr shots. Could be mumps also if he has not. Did the doctor order a mono test and a cbc or wbc count? That will tell you if it is mono or an infection. Good luck.

02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM

group hugtry not to worry hopefully it is nothing 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

My friend went through something similar with her 6 yr old son.   Turned out to be his adnoids (sp?).  He had them removed and is perfectly fine :)

Lovemyboys1212
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
He goes in for a cbc on Monday. I googled swollen lymph node. I should not of done that:(

Quoting mt0130:

It could be mono or an infection in a lymph node. Has he been vacinated with mmr shots. Could be mumps also if he has not. Did the doctor order a mono test and a cbc or wbc count? That will tell you if it is mono or an infection. Good luck.

bluedolly01
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Yeah Dr Google is no help. My DD has had swollen lymph nodes in her groin, arm pit and neck for over 15 months now. She has had every test under the sun (she is also dealing with an antibiotic resistant staph at the same time) the Drs said to me (before the staph came into it) that it could just be a virus or infection and that it can sometimes take up to 6-12 months for them to go down after whatever is causing it has left the body.

Is it just the one node? Any other symptoms?

Good luck I hope everything goes well for your son.

Quoting Lovemyboys1212:

He goes in for a cbc on Monday. I googled swollen lymph node. I should not of done that:(

Quoting mt0130:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angeltink7
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM

My son had a swollen lymph node in the back of his neck about the size of two marbles.  We got all the blood work and then GP watched it for about 6 months to see if it decreased in size.  When it didn't he sent us to a surgeon who said it most likely was nothing and we had two choices to leave it alone or have it removed and tested.  My son was a teen by that point so I let him make the choice and he wanted it removed.  It was a simply out patient surgery and everything went well and it was not cancerous or anything really.  It's gone no problems since. 

You really need to relax and think positive as an example for your child.  Your child will pick up on your emotions about it and either worry themselves or take it one day at a time feeling it is nothing to worry about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)