Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Will employers hire your teen if they can only work about 10 hours a week?

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM
  • 28 Replies

My teen wants to get a job. I want her to keep her hours to about 10/wk when not on a school break. She says no one will hire her if that's her limit.

What do you think? (about the limit of about 10 hrs/wk, about finding an employer who can live with the limit)

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:15 AM

McDonalds or any fast food restuarant will hire her. Or maybe a newsagency. I can't really see anyone else however doing that, and if the potential employer questions her availability and she says "Oh my mum wants me to do 10 hours because......" Well they'll just dismiss her on the spot because they'll think she's not flexible enough for them/is a mummys girl and will quit/cancel shifts the second mummy tells her too - not bashing it's literally words my manager has used after an interview.

Manth
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:30 AM

10 - 15 hours a week is what my daughter wanted to work when she first set out looking for part-time work.  What she discovered was that unless she was willing to give up school and work full-time, none of the local employers were interested including MacDonalds!  She chose to stay at school, graduated with her class and picked up a scholarship to help with costs of her University degree.  She has been pointed towards other scholarships she may quality for after a very successful first year and has decided that scholarships rather than trying to work and study at the same time is the way to go in her situation.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Most want you to work around 20 hours. Not worth hiring someone for less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

for that small amount of hours she may want to look into babysitting.  I can't see any employers hiring for less than 20 hours a week

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

This~

If she has limited hours available through the school year maybe she could wait and find a job during the summer break.

Quoting fammatthews4:

for that small amount of hours she may want to look into babysitting.  I can't see any employers hiring for less than 20 hours a week

annie2244
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I'm completely bummed by the answers thus far. Me and my sibs all found jobs and kept our hours under control - I worked at the neighborhood drug store and later the KFC in high school, worked a weekend shift and maybe a short 3-4 hour shift after school one day a wk, totaling up to 8-12 hours/wk. My sibs were similar. Granted this was eons ago.

Have things changed so radically with employers? I see a ton of high school kids behind the counters at places - are they all working a ton of hours?

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Most places won't.

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting annie2244:  I see a ton of high school kids behind the counters at places - are they all working a ton of hours?

Not a "ton" of hours, but a reasonable amount.  A reasonable amount is 12 to 16 hours at a minimum.  There is NO reason she can't work that.  Both my kids did, AND they kept up their grades, and participated in extracurriculars also.  It taught them how to prioritize, how to manage their time, and frankly, no child is going to spend  those extra hours with their nose in a book.  What they ARE doing when they aren't working, is having more opportunity to get into trouble. Boyfriend trouble, drinking trouble, hanging out trouble.  Remember, "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop". 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM
They don't wanna mess with someone that only wants 1 or 2 shifts a week? I would say 3 to 4 shifts minimum. A shift is probably 5 to 6 hours, sometimes only 4 depending on the restaurant.

Quoting annie2244:

I'm completely bummed by the answers thus far. Me and my sibs all found jobs and kept our hours under control - I worked at the neighborhood drug store and later the KFC in high school, worked a weekend shift and maybe a short 3-4 hour shift after school one day a wk, totaling up to 8-12 hours/wk. My sibs were similar. Granted this was ions ago.

Have things changed so radically with employers? I see a ton of high school kids behind the counters at places - are they all working a ton of hours?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I know many that will and depending on the teens age, they are only allowed to work certain amount if hours. Under 16 is very limited, at least in my state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN