Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Driving lesson tips

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hello all I've been trying to teach my teen how to drive. We've spent lots of hours in empty parking lots driving up and down the aisles, turning, and backing up. We took one run through a quiet neighborhood with wide streets. She struggled a lot with judging distance from other cars and I think I may have even had a mild heart attack as she nearly swiped some side view mirrors on some parked cars. Any tips to help me help her?
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
annie2244
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Doing the training in a way that slowly ramps up the difficulty level, like you've been doing, is great.

My kid did the same thing until I let her know that on a residential street, unless an opposing car is coming at you, you are allowed to be driving with part of your car over the middle and wrong side of the street. And when an opposing car comes, you slow down alot, b/c it is tighter and hard to judge how close you can be to the row of parked cars on the right without hitting a rearview mirror.

Can you have her imagine a white line that runs along side all the parked cars - like they all have their own lane that they're parked in, and she need to stay several inches to the left of that?

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM

No advice here, mine is supposed to be driving but doesn't because he can't get his act together.

sleeblended
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Have you had her eyes checked lately?  My son was having a hard time with focusing on distances (looking close vs. looking far vs. looking close again), so  he has to wear glasses during class and while practicing driving.  The doc said it's a temporary thing that will go away after puberty is over, but for right now the glasses help.  Good luck!

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Do you have any orange cones?   Like from soccer?    They are great to use in empty parking lots.   When teaching my kids, we practiced parking in the parking spots in empty lots.   Each time they pulled into a spot, they opened the door to make sure they were between the white lines.    It helped them judge distance.     We used to pretend they were parking between Jaguars and Mazzerati's...... Uh Oh!  You just hit a Mazzerati!   Lol.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Drivers Education with a professional. Practice practice practice. Eye exam to make sure she's seeing correctly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shea1967
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Get a friend to drive with her. She could be nervous because of you. I drove with my neighbors daughter and she did great but with her mom she was awful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

get a few lessons with a driving school they have alot of tricks and patience that parents dont

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)