Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

High school required iPads

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM
  • 25 Replies
One of the private high schools in the area required all students to have iPads this year. To date the schools grade point average has dropped about half a point over all.

Thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

How would anyone know if their grade point average dropped if it is not yet reportable data.  I would think they would be looking at last years numbers.

We have a few public schools in the area where all the students have iPads, and my district plans on doing this as well.  While there is a learning curve, the general response I have heard has been very good.  

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM

My son's BFF goes to a junior high that supplies iPads, and the kids get to keep it upon graduation. It is an effort to go paperless.

I have not heard of that public school's grade point average since implimenting the requirement of iPads.

suesues
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:14 AM

my dau h s will start that next year but she graduates in june this year

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I feel about the same as the public schools requiring laptops.  Expensive for the parent, no real benefit.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Quarter grades and first semester look like they will be the same.

Quoting Carmel63:

How would anyone know if their grade point average dropped if it is not yet reportable data.  I would think they would be looking at last years numbers.

We have a few public schools in the area where all the students have iPads, and my district plans on doing this as well.  While there is a learning curve, the general response I have heard has been very good.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM

In 6th a nd 7th grades the kids had laptops that they brought from class to class. provided by the school.  8th grade everyone had an Ipad.    In highschool my dd has an ipad for 3 classes  and my son has one in his high school for 2 classes.  All provided by the school.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Our middle schools require 6th-8th graders to have a laptop or netbook. We get the choice of renting from the school or, new this yr, providing our own. The school netbooks are junk and already completely outdated (the one ds1 rented for the past 2 yrs was constantly having problems by the end of last yr), so we relunctantly got him his own laptop.

Dh and I did not (and still don't) like having those required. We have always said our kids are not going to have their own computers. We have one desktop in the family rm that they share, and at least I resented the district taking that personal decision out of our hands. The real kicker is that the kids can't really use the laptops in class in h.s. b/c the building is like 50 yrs old, not set up for the wi-fi required, and they don't have the $ to upgrade it. What's the point of teaching how to do all this work and note-taking on a laptop if they can't continue on consistently w/ it in h.s?

Maevelyn
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM

adjustment period for the new system. When ever you implement a That's with in the marine of error for one thing, half a point is nothing it could be due to the flue running through the school. Also major changes take time to get it right. I'm from FL and our public school system is notorious for implementing new things every year and then moving on to something else before it normalizes (there for there is essentially no consistency ever at all.) I'd be more interested in the result in a year or two. I know my dds elementary school is kicking around the idea of going to Ipads, they are more in keeping with skill sets they'll need in the future, they are less expensive than textbooks and not as heavy. I'm all for it.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

im sure it is an adjustment period.  the issue rumored are all the games the kids are playing in class instead of actually paying attention.  the novelty of it all

as for the skill sets... our kinders start proper finger placement in the computer lab right off.  I dont think there are many kids now a days, at least in my area, that dont know the basics of how to use a computer prior to entering kindergarten.

Quoting Maevelyn:

adjustment period for the new system.

I know my dds elementary school is kicking around the idea of going to Ipads, they are more in keeping with skill sets they'll need in the future, they are less expensive than textbooks and not as heavy. I'm all for it.

Maevelyn
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I agree my daughers are better on my tablet than I am and my friend's 4 year old set up the email on her tablet. What on Earth happened when I posted this it's a mixed up. 

Quoting sahlady:

im sure it is an adjustment period.  the issue rumored are all the games the kids are playing in class instead of actually paying attention.  the novelty of it all

as for the skill sets... our kinders start proper finger placement in the computer lab right off.  I dont think there are many kids now a days, at least in my area, that dont know the basics of how to use a computer prior to entering kindergarten.

Quoting Maevelyn:

adjustment period for the new system.

I know my dds elementary school is kicking around the idea of going to Ipads, they are more in keeping with skill sets they'll need in the future, they are less expensive than textbooks and not as heavy. I'm all for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)