Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Online high school?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

Has your kid or anyone you know done online high school?

My 16 y/o may try this for the 2nd half of junior yr. She is missing most days of school the past 2-3 months b/c of abdominal pain for which she has been undergoing a ton of tests to figure out the cause and treatment, but in the process is struggling to keep up with her classes when she is basically never at school. By the time she feels adequately good to sit up and study, it's 1 or 2pm and school's over. And getting the work/tests by email and phone and friends is NOT working out.

So - I just googled to find out if there's an online option in our state and there is, and it looks pretty good from their website info. Tomorrow we will talk to them, and there's an open house next week in advance of registration for the next term, which begins Jan. 28.

But - I don't want her to sign up for something that turns out to be a lot of screen time, tons of home work, etc.

My concern is how efficient the instruction/assignments/help when needed/testing process is.

Does anyone know anything?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I homeschool using K12, one is in 1st, one is in 3rd and the next is in 6th. My niece is in 10th and uses the same program but through her state. So I'll tell you my experience.

Screen time, there is quite a bit, but you have to look at it like school. The computer is her teacher, in our case the school as a required amount of hours a day that each student should be working and that is based off of the grade they are in. Sometimes it takes longer and some days it is less.

Homework, well it's all homework, again it school, but in your home.

My opinion, there are many aspects that I love about. We can do it when we want, whatever time of day we want (we do have a schedule though). Math for the upper levels is a little harder. I find that they over complicate it, and often times have to teach it a little different or use Khanacadmy.com as a 'tutor'. Another observation is that the classes are a lot more advanced then brick and mortar school is, they also have higher expectations. 

If your DD is a pretty independant student it should work out well, my 3rd grader is and often doesn't need my help. My 6th grader isn't which means a lot of it falls on me. It's a given with the first grader.

Now my sister found it beyond difficult to help my niece, so she would often call me to help out. It's not a bad idea to have a back-up plan in place, especially if there are area's you are weeker in.

Reaching the teachers, it's a little more difficult since you can't just drive up to the school for a quick chat, but not horribly inconvenient.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Thanks for this info! I think we'll steer toward the easier level classes to play it safe.

The school has webinar 1:1 instruction if you need extra help, and drop-in webinar tutoring, , and each teacher has 3 hours of office hours for webinar help with whomever needs it. So - it sounds like it's got great access to help if you need it, but we'll only really know once we're into it. Maybe I should ask if we can speak with a parent/student roughly her age who is in this school.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM

You're welcome, asking for reference's would be a good thing. Good luck, I hope they can find out what is going on with your dd so she can get back in school.

Quoting annie2244:

Thanks for this info! I think we'll steer toward the easier level classes to play it safe.

The school has webinar 1:1 instruction if you need extra help, and drop-in webinar tutoring, , and each teacher has 3 hours of office hours for webinar help with whomever needs it. So - it sounds like it's got great access to help if you need it, but we'll only really know once we're into it. Maybe I should ask if we can speak with a parent/student roughly her age who is in this school.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM

My younger three have taken some required electives such as health and a couple of others on line.They like to do this to free up elective time for something more interesting to them.So nothing like a math or science but it worked well for them.If needed I think that it the instructions would be fine for classwork.Though I think I (we) would need some help with covering calculus well enough.

Good luck.I hope they quickly discover the source of your daughter's pain and it is easily relieved !

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM

My son took some online courses in High School.    The program was called Aventa.  He took a Literature class and a health class.  He highly recommends them.    He also took a college level math class online through BYU.   He recommends that one, as well.      He completed the Math class in 4 days.

suesues
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM

some states will provide a teacher do to home school for 1 semester if medical reasons.  My son had some online classes in college and hated them

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

You're in MN too, right?

I think there are several online high school options here. I'd probably check them all out to see which one fits your daughter the best. Here is a link to an article about the different options here: http://distancelearn.about.com/od/onlinepublicschools/a/MinnesotaPublic.htm

My son goes to a public magnet school, but if I wanted to do something more at home, I'd probably look more into a hybrid school like Cyber Village Academy in St Paul.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN