Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Traveling to FL

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

I'm going to be traveling from VA to FL this weekend.  It's been years since I've driven it so I'm a little nervous.  A very good friend's mom died on Sunday and she's having the service this weekend.  She's a total mess, which is to be expected, but she wants me to stay at her already full house.

What would you do?  I can handle getting a hotel room very close to her house, and to be honest I would prefer it, but she wants me to stay with her, in her house and sleep on the couch.  Well she offered me her bed but I don't want that either, would rather have the couch.  It's just going to be a full house, 4 resident adults, 1 infant, 3 houseguests, 2 dogs, plus me in a 2 bedroom house. 

Would you stay there?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Have you talked to her about your preference and why you prefer it? Also let her know it's not a financial hardship? My house is chaotic with all the kids, esp at holiday time with all 4 of them home. My one sil and her family love staying with us. My other sil was an only child growing up and really prefers staying in the quiet of a hotel with her family during the holidays. She explained this to me and I totally understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:58 AM

I think I would rather stay in a motel

PurpleHazey
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Have you talked to her about your preference and why you prefer it? Also let her know it's not a financial hardship? My house is chaotic with all the kids, esp at holiday time with all 4 of them home. My one sil and her family love staying with us. My other sil was an only child growing up and really prefers staying in the quiet of a hotel with her family during the holidays. She explained this to me and I totally understand.

I am with you.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:34 AM
I would stay in a motel. Her house sounds like it would be t crowded for me. Just explain to her your reasons.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I sure did explain, in fact I asked her to send me the closest hotel name so I could book it.  I'm going to be arriving anywhere between 2 and 4am Saturday morning.  I explained I didn't want to put her out, that her house is chaotic as it is, and I was already planning on a hotel so money isn't a problem.  She broke down in tears telling me to stay there.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I am with you.

02nana07
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you could see if you get a room if she would want to stay at the motel with you to get away from the crowd and get a little rest.  Since she wants you there maybe this could be an option.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't think of that.  This might be an option, I'm going to put it to her when she calls today.

Quoting 02nana07:

Maybe you could see if you get a room if she would want to stay at the motel with you to get away from the crowd and get a little rest.  Since she wants you there maybe this could be an option.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM

This is a great idea

Quoting fantasticfour:

I didn't think of that.  This might be an option, I'm going to put it to her when she calls today.

Quoting 02nana07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)