Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swearing

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 21 Replies

This has been driving me crazy. I hate when children swear in front of adults or if they swear at all. My little sister lives with me because our grandma passed away when she was fourteen and she was her guardian. Anyways for the past two weeks marley has been swearing up a storm. We have rules against swearing in the house. The first two times you swear you have to put a dollar in the swear jar, after that a privilege gets taken away (usually her cell phone) and if it happen two more time she gets grounded. Well we went through all of that these past two weeks. Well today my husband grounded her for swearing, I wasn't home when it happened. But she tried to get out of it and I told her no. She keeps saying its not fair that my husband grounded her. But I'm not letting her of the hook.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Good for you and your husband for sticking to the rule. Hopefully she will respect the rule very soon.

Kaylynn487
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I hope so

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

We have not run into that problem with my teen... Yet.... But with my 5 year old the more I say about it the more he uses it. So I just pretend I never heard it and he stopped using it. Not sure if that will help with a teen. But I know when I was a teen the more I knew my mother hated it the more I did it. Just an idea.

PurpleHazey
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM

It's all the teens, no help from me because nothing worked on my boys, but then again they don't get into trouble so I have excepted the medium and then just check them on swearing when ever they swear.

PurpleHazey
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Welcome to the group

bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM

If it's a battle you want to pick, most important thing I think is consistency..just make sure you stick with it. I hate swearing too, imo, it makes people look much less intelligent and trashy, esp kids.

luckysevenwow
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Swearing is not a battle I fought, within reason of course. The occasional word was never a big deal, but when they start to sound like a sailor I have a problem. Mine were also respectful enough to not ever do it around other children and adults they didn't know.

Carmel63
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I don't allow my husband to swear in the home, nevermind the children.   Hold your ground.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I wouldn't either.  Your husband is an equal member of that household and should have equal say in the punishment division.  She needs to learn that cussing is not ladylike.

Carmen66
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Im sorry im.old school, my daughter got a good smack on her mouth made her lip swollen. After that she learned her lesson.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)