Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discovering your teen uses marijuana...

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 19 Replies

How would you go about disciplining and relating to your teen if you found out they use/sell marijuana?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Turn them in. Rehab.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I see a difference between finding out they have used occasionally ,frequently and selling.If I felt it was an occasional party type use I would discuss it ,put restrictions in place and follow through with surprise at home testing.There would be clear cut consequences .if it was a frequent use I would reach out for professional help and follow their suggestions including rehab.If selling was involved I would do the same with even stricter consequences.

copgirl112
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Quoting drfink:

I see a difference between finding out they have used occasionally ,frequently and selling.If I felt it was an occasional party type use I would discuss it ,put restrictions in place and follow through with surprise at home testing.There would be clear cut consequences .if it was a frequent use I would reach out for professional help and follow their suggestions including rehab.If selling was involved I would do the same with even stricter consequences.

This also it depends on what age. If they were over 18 and not smoking at my house I wouldn't care.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Talk to them.   Find out why and what they are self medicating.    Beyond that, it depends on the age of the teen.  

If the teen is a young teen (too young to drive), I would have them write a research essay on the affects of pot, make it clear that as long as they are using, they will not be allowed to drive, revoke priveledges and do random drug testing.

If they are an older teen; take away their driving priveledges, and all technology.

sunflowers12
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM

well, how old is he/she then talking first whats the reasons he or she has decided this is the right thing to do.. whats bothering them... is it because others are doing it or is there under line problem they feel they cant do anything about... then if you cant get any where with talking it out start to do some research on drugs and teens there are many sites in which have good advice and ideas in which to help the kid and family as a whole.. what is school like for the kid is it misery ?? maybe why the child has chose to take drugs.. there so many factors for why kids make these decisions it takes a long process to find out why, but the ol saying you get more with "honey then vinegar".. meaning if you truly wanta get through to the child then try understanding then figuring out new way to cope with the problems... i really hope this can help in some way good luck to you momma:) keep up the hard work momma:)

annie2244
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM
8 moms liked this

I don't actually think marijuana is a terrible thing. But it's illegal, with fairly draconian legal consequences in many states, so I'd be all over my kids about the facts and fall-out to one's ability to get a job with a record. It's not worth the risk.

And in many cases, pot use other than the rare occasion, isn't often found in kids who have busy lives with a focus on grades and college. So my concern would be what neer'dowells are you now hangin' with, child-o-mine, that will influence not only this decision but others, and lead you astray from the path to good grades, college and career?

And, pot, other than the rare occasion, is a complete time suck. Doin' it, and the hours long mind fog afterwards. My question would be, child-o-mine, how vapid is your life? Get one. Or I'll get one for you.

So - my discussions with my little pot smoker would not be 'OMG Pot!', in an of itself, b/c it's not mainlining heroin. My discussions would focus on what the pot smoking means about their current life, and the risks if they get caught once adults.

Oh - plus I'd ground them. For a couple weeks. Because I'm not interested in dealing with this all during high school. I'd act like this was over the line horrendous, even though I don't consider pot scary awful. But my over the top reaction will help ensure they realize this is not something they want to get caught doing again.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Selling? Pne warning and I call the cops.

Other then that my reaction would pretty much be the same as Annie2244

dobrd
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this

PeaceChild, We are a good family w/values, beliefs, & etc. Raising our 5 kids didn't change the fact that they are going to 'try it' whether or not we agree/not.. Whether we've told them/warned them about the serious effects it creats.. It's no different than picking their friends for them.. Good luck w/that too.. Like many generations before, it's going to happen.. No different w/their 1st smoke, or 1st drink.. Some find out by themselves privately, or through peer pressure.. Not being pessimistic, just honest, real about it.. Take Care, Donna....

PeaceChild
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM

A school counselor had suggested an outpatient substance abuse treatment program with group therapies.  I'm more inclined at this point to do the family counseling thing with a therapist of our choice. 

02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Rehab wouldn't be an option it would be the only choice they had. 

When they got out they would have no door and no privacy until I was 100% sure they were clean and staying that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)