Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

PSAT and college

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 23 Replies

Hey y'all. I've never posted to this group before, but it seems you're most likely to be able to help with my question.

My DD is a 15yo sophomore and she took the PSAT this year. Her score was higher than average, but not NMS high. She scored around the 87th percentile.

In the last week, though, we've gotten letters and emails from over a dozen universities lightly courting her - basically, introducing themselves and saying that when the time comes, they'd be interested in talking to her.

Tell me this is normal. Is this how they do college searches now? It just feels a little...overwhelming.

*sigh* She wants to pull her score up quite a bit for the SAT next year and I can already foresee the inundation of e-mails!

If you're going through, or have gone through, the college search with your kids, what can I expect?

Thank you for any help or advice you can give me.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Yes, this how colleges find students they may be interested in.  Congratulations to your daughter for doing well. those with high GPAs and test scores will get a ton of mail and email.  It is great to have choices.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM
For smart kids, yep they get letters. Mine never did. My dd knew she did not wanna go to school in Wisconsin where we lived so we suggested she look in Indiana and Western Ohio near where family lives. She looked at 5 schools, applied to 4 and got in all 4. She decided on U of Dayton.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

my daughter took the psat and received nothing... her final sat was just a hint above the national average... not so good.

my son took the psat freshman year and ranked in the 92% of college bound juniors (that is how it was written on the paper we got back) and we have been FLOODED with emails.  He took it again this year, sophomore year, and aced one of the english portions and again we have been FLOODED.  We have also received many promotional pamphlets to study at colleges over the summer, including harvard and oxford.  Granted these we have to pay for but I dont think he would have even got the offers had his scores not been so high.

So it IS because of her scores.... YEAH HER!!!!

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Have her start looking on college board and youinversity these sites will give her some good information on the schools.  there is another site my daughter loved because the students themselves ranked the schools... but I dont know that site.

But before she starts the search give her your peramiters.... how far you are willing to have her go, what you are willing to pay, things you would prefer or not prefer... you would hate for her to fall in love with a school you are unwilling for her to attend.

justamomma2
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I'm impressed your daughter took the PSAT her sophomore year.  My son's high school would not let sophmores take the psat their this year and I was very upset, but didn't know what to do about it.  They had the kids take the ACT "The Plan."  I wish they would have been allowed to take both.  My son has just started receiving emails from a college or two after taking the ACT.  Did your daughter study for the PSAT?  Congratulatons to her.  Yes the college process ahead seems so daunting and intimidating, especially for my son, he's not sure what he would want to major in yet.

Lorena
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM
My son is not going to take any of them. :( but he already has a career plan and he is only a freashman.
Congrats to your dd!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM

It sure is!

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yes, it is normal.    You can expect lots of mail from several schools, it is the schools way of getting on your radar.   It is just information.   

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, even average students will get floods of mail and e-mails.  Don't get TOO flattered tho--they are courting your MONEY, LOL. 

SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM

That's mostly what I figured. I was wondering if I even OUGHT to be flattered! Thanks for the reality check. *gg*

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Yep, even average students will get floods of mail and e-mails.  Don't get TOO flattered tho--they are courting your MONEY, LOL. 

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN