Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

minor car accident

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 17 Replies
Last night I received the call all parents of driving teens dread. My ds16 was in his first car accident. He wasn't driving, technically NOBODY was driving. 4 teen boys were trying to 'pop' start a truck, that was in the driveway. My ds(T), was in the passenger seat, his friend D was in the middle and J was laying across their laps. They were waiting for A to pull over another vehicle to jump the truck. The truck started to roll, J was able to jump out. The truck continued to roll down the hill where it veered and missed one tree but slammed into another. Ds tried to keep his head down below the dash, but there wasn't enough time. His friend D tried to apply the brakes, he didn't have enough time either. My son's head went through the windshield, there's a hole in it, the size of his head. At the hospital they did CT scans, thankfully no concussion, no broken bones, not even stitches. D has a scrape on his forehead and banged his collarbone and knee. My ds bit a piece of his tongue off, gashes in his nose and eyes. Numerous cuts and scrapes on his face. Banged up his elbow.
When I got to the hospital I didn't know whether to throttle him or hug him!
There was a lot of talk about how they weren't 'screwing around.' But I disagree. They had no adult supervision, using an unorthodox method to start a vehicle. They did NOT have seatbelts on. And they were NOT sitting properly in the vehicle.
I am so happy they are all okay. But, should I punish him for not taking the necessary precautions? We talked about no texting while driving, no drugs/alcohol, and even seatbelt rules, before he started driving. He knows our expectations. Should I take his injuries as a lesson learned or something more?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IndianaWynette
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd give him another chance..I think the accident probably shook him up quite a bit. If he disobeys safety and/or your driving rules again then I would take larger steps.

ksueditz
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Bump
handy0318
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like he's learned the lessons the hard  way.  He'll probably be far more ready to obey common sense rules now.  If you find out later he isn't, then perhaps some discipline is in order, but I wouldn't discipline him now.  Sometimes, when we discipline our teens after they themselves have already "got it"... it leads to frustration and anger on their part.  Just give him a hug and let him know you're glad he's OK.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting IndianaWynette:

I'd give him another chance..I think the accident probably shook him up quite a bit. If he disobeys safety and/or your driving rules again then I would take larger steps.

I agree with this.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree also a serious serious sit down come to Jesus type talk when he's feeling better. So glad everyone is alright! Hugs!

Quoting IndianaWynette:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Thank you. Scared me to death. Definitely a serious talk is needed.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I agree also a serious serious sit down come to Jesus type talk when he's feeling better. So glad everyone is alright! Hugs!

Quoting IndianaWynette:

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with both of these replies

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Quoting IndianaWynette:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. Accidents happen, I'm so glad he wasn't hurt more seriously. Hopefully the natural consequences will be enough to deter him next time if they were goofing around.

Quoting IndianaWynette:

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Hug him hard and be grateful he wasn't seriously injured!    Count this as a life lesson.   He and his friends just learned (the hard way) that motor vehicles are dangerous and need to be handled with caution and care....even while not in use.     He will not forget.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Hug him and be happy he wasn't hurt worse. I wouldn't punish him this time. I think the scare and pain he'll be in will he punishment enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)