Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Help with my 17 year old daughter?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 17 year old has been with her bf for 4 months. I wanted to know if I should ask her if she wants to be on birth control or if I should wait for her to come to me. I have been telling her since I knew not to have sex but I have a felling she won't come to me. What should I do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sunflowers12
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Just ask her you wanta get on the pill?? And be sure she has some type of protection most kids do now a days but there are obviously ppl who risk it... If she is old enough for sex she is old enough to buy the things she needs ...
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't put my DD on BC just because she has a boyfriend, how silly is that?

Talk to her and let her know that if there is a point where she feels she needs them she can come to you, no questions asked, and you will make an appointment.

handy0318
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Yes, you should have a discussion with her about birth control, including the fact that things like the pill and the shots don't protect from std's.  You should also reaffirm your own values and why you hold them and that you feel it's best not to have sex.  I know a lot of people like to shout about how kids are going to do it anyway, but not every girl feels ready for sex, yet feels pressured to do so.  Knowing that your mom encourages waiting can give some girls confidence to stay true to herself if she doesn't want sex yet.

However, if she does have sex, then also let her know that she can come to you about anything...even if it's just a listening ear.  Also, if she hasn't had one yet and is still a virgin, she should discuss with her doctor the HPV vaccine. 

One thing I wouldn't do if I were you, would be to buy her bc for her.  If she's feels old enough to make sexual choices for herself, she also needs to start taking sexual responsibility for herself.  She can discuss with her doctor the various options for bc as well as paying for it.  If you've been encouraging abstinence, then just roll over and buy her bc, that sends a big mixed message.

ididntdoit111
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Straight out ask her. We don't want them to have sex, but they will if they want. So I'd rather have them on the pill than having a child.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM

You should have a straightforward talk with her, letting her know that she can come to you and ask for birth control if she needs it.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I feel the same way but we are the vast minority.  The more you think about it the crazier it seems.  But the OP should talk to her and find out what's going on.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Talk to her and let her know that if there is a point where she feels she needs them she can come to you, no questions asked, and you will make an appointment.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't believe there are so many parents that only are thinking of birth-control & not the stds.  Having a baby is only one thing to be concerned with and birth-control is not going to stop the std's.  Having both talks with teens is important & abstinence is always best but all should be discussed at a young and & not just once.

gonecrazi
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Just ask her if she thinks she might need birth control.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Agree

I have talked to my daughter about BC several times and always stress that she can come me no questions asked when she feels it's time for BC.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)