Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Prom

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 25 Replies

Ok, So my baby girl will be going to her senior Prom this year,  Makes me want to cry, but I am excited for her :) 

I never went to prom , so I just a have a few questions about different stuff 

1. How early do you start shopping for the dress ? Prom is in April.  she wants to look this weekend 

2. Is it better to go to the mall or is it better to go to a specialty store. (daughter has already told me she does not want to go to the mall because that's where everyone else will be going we live in a small town). 

3. What is the approiate amount to spend on a dress ?

4.. I was going to set her budget for everything dress, shoes, make up, hair & nails & what ever else she comes up with between 350-400..  Is that to high ?

Any help with any of the questions would be great. 

She wants a ball gown with high top tennis shoes, When she mentioned the tennis shoes, I was like my kid is so weird LOL

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kim8934
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, go now.  Also, check online.  Sometimes you can find the same dress cheaper online.

mumdetomas130
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Start shopping ASAP! Don't go to a mall, you could try going to a special out of town store. My dress was 500. I only got my hair and nails done, around 80. Tennis shoes would be fine, eventually everyone takes off their shoes anyways. Also, is everyone going in a limo? That would e extra expense
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

there are plenty of on line places to look for dress and my oldest bought a couple but she bought them not us because she has way to high of expectations.. anyway on line dress shops that are accurate to sizes and also shoes as well nails n stuff hard to say that just what's available to you where you live kinda thing... didn't spend money on prom but we did spend money at home coming and she act like a spoiled brat and her father was the one who didn't want us going to the mall because he knows she can talk me into thing sometimes... and he made the decision to take her to Rossand target and we spent about 80 bucks and to me it wasn't so bad she flipped out at the store and we had words and my dh kept yelling through out the store "if its up to me i will take you home with nothing" and she lashed out at me the once we got home she handed me her dirty laundry and said thank to her dad only and took off with friends while i was the one trying to keep the peace between everyone... so you see that's why prom was up to her... made a lot less fuss... your budget is your call though hard to say really with the cost of everything...

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM
My dd did early because she is sooooo tiny and wanted short so it was hard to find something she liked. Most come out in February at bridal salons and stores. Some in January, but not many. Lots online but I wanted my girls to try on. My oldest found dresses easy as she is normal size and height. I never spent over $150 and usually under $100. Tiny dd had $80 in alterations for senior prom last year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM

The only drawback to starting so early is that alot of the stores have not put out their prom merchandise yet.  But she can start looking on line and getting an idea of what she wants.  

Definitely go the boutique route or even somewhere like David's bridal if possible.  One thing they do that the mall stores don't is sell only one of a type of dress per school.  That way she can be guaranteed that she'll be the only one with a particular dress.  Your $350-$400 budget is probably a good one, just don't forget to include alterations as part of that as well.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM
A store at our mall sells one per school.

Quoting fammatthews4:

The only drawback to starting so early is that alot of the stores have not put out their prom merchandise yet.  But she can start looking on line and getting an idea of what she wants.  

Definitely go the boutique route or even somewhere like David's bridal if possible.  One thing they do that the mall stores don't is sell only one of a type of dress per school.  That way she can be guaranteed that she'll be the only one with a particular dress.  Your $350-$400 budget is probably a good one, just don't forget to include alterations as part of that as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of the department stores.  Those are the only stores in our mall that sell prom dresses so I forgot there are other stores in malls that would do that. :)  Our mall stinks luckily DD had found her dress at David's bridal or we would have had to road trip it to another town for the dress search last year.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting fammatthews4:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Our mall sucks too, lol. It does have one specialty store though.

Quoting fammatthews4:

I was thinking more along the lines of the department stores.  Those are the only stores in our mall that sell prom dresses so I forgot there are other stores in malls that would do that. :)  Our mall stinks luckily DD had found her dress at David's bridal or we would have had to road trip it to another town for the dress search last year.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting fammatthews4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
handy0318
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Check out  www.debshops.com  Deb has kind of been our go to place for special dresses. They also have shoes and accessories too.  If anything, she can get an idea of what she would like.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Also before you start shopping know what her school allows and doesn't allow.  For instance dresses at our school have to be at least below the knee and no cut outs anywhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)