Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do you think? Had this discussion with some Mom's last night.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 5 Replies

Some neighborhood Mom's were playing Pokeno.  After we were talking about various subjects and this came up.  One Mom is on the elementary school board which has K-8 in the school. 

The school board has taken up talking over the subject of what can they do about kids and facebook and just in general conversations about say kids talking about last weekends slumber party when all were not included.  Or posting pics on facebook about the slumber party.  How can "everyone" be friends with everyone and not excluding people.  Making kids invited the whole class to parties etc. 

Well, we all jumped on this one.  You can't make everyone by friends.  I am not friends with everyone either.  You can't force kids to be friends.  You can't tell kids what they can and cannot do on their home computer, or who they can or cannot invite to parties, slumber parties or whatever.  What world are we trying to turn into. 

I mean already kids get trophies when they do not deserve them.  Some honor roles are gone not to slight others.  Our poor kids will never be ready for the real cruel world if we shelter them and let this happen. 

ALL of us agreed the school needs to stay out of personal lives.  Anyone one of us grew up being excluded at one time or another and we survived.  Most have a core group of friends and even then may ask one to spend the night this weekend and another another weekend.  You don't always invite all of your friends to everything, let alone someone you don't know or are not friends with. 

The schools are really walking a fine line on overstepping boundries here. 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I think the women upset over their child not getting invited need to get a life.  REALLY??? This is what they neeed to spend their energy on?  Maybe there is a REASON your kid didnt get invited... maybe it is YOUR kid that has the issue and not every other person at the school.

gee... I highly doubt that it was the school that came up with this "worry".  They have so many more issues to deal with AT school that I dont think it would have been on their radar unless there was some mom annoying the heck out of the administration over the issue.  I know one of the biggest issues at our school are budget cuts vs. keeping teachers.... THAT is a tad bit more important than suzie getting sad because janie had a bday part she wasnt invited to.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I have no idea why the school took up the issue. The Mom on the school board did not start the conversation, the superintendent did.  This Mom has only one kid left at home in HS. She agreed with us on this but wondered how we all felt.  She was going to go back and tell the school board what we said. 

I am sure some group of Mom's may have or even one person.  Who knows. 

Quoting sahlady:

I think the women upset over their child not getting invited need to get a life.  REALLY??? This is what they neeed to spend their energy on?  Maybe there is a REASON your kid didnt get invited... maybe it is YOUR kid that has the issue and not every other person at the school.

gee... I highly doubt that it was the school that came up with this "worry".  They have so many more issues to deal with AT school that I dont think it would have been on their radar unless there was some mom annoying the heck out of the administration over the issue.  I know one of the biggest issues at our school are budget cuts vs. keeping teachers.... THAT is a tad bit more important than suzie getting sad because janie had a bday part she wasnt invited to.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM

that would be my guess.  when I think of all the issues my school board has dealt with in the last 10 years (zoning, technology, specialty teachers, budgets, special ed, etc.) that would be so off radar that it would be laughed at if brought up.

Quoting atlmom2:

I am sure some group of Mom's may have or even one person.  Who knows.  

handy0318
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Facebook and other social media is redefining society.  In some ways, schools do have to be on top of it, especially since FB is often used for bullying, not to mention bringing untrue and unfair accusations against teachers and classmates.

But, making rules that if you're going to have a slumber party, then invite the whole class or keep it off FB?  Way too far over the line and invasive in personal life.  

Besides, this "can't let anyone get hurt feelings" crap is damaging in it's own way.  Reminds me of the time when both my kids worked very hard on their science fair projects, both were justifiably proud of their efforts. My daughter was pretty sure she could get first prize in her class...which since she has some learning difficulties and struggles with academics, she was hoping for, just to show others she wasn't "stupid". And she did get first prize!  

So did EVERYONE ELSE... yes, they gave every student in the elementary school, from K-6 "first prize" ribbons. When we got home, and we were taking her project out of the car I noticed the ribbon was gone and asked her about it. She threw it away. 

So, good for your Pokeno group for pushing back on this.  Might not be a bad idea to show up at a board meeting if it sounds as if it's going to gain any momentum.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

That is ridiculous! If this is a fb issue it's for older kids as kids have to be a certain age to be on fb. If there is nasty talk that's one thing.  Kids need to get with the real world, not everyone is included.  I do agree and do see some inappropriate stuff on fb with teens & nasty stuff maybe should be addressed by the principal or superintendent. It would be hard for a school to regulate though.  With your school being k-8 esp.  In my dd's grades school they couldn't bring in and hand out invitations to birthday parties unless they are inviting the whole class.  I'm not sure that was even right.  I think they just need to be mailed or given privately at that age but older kids need to know how to deal with being left out, etc. Everyone has their own clicks, it's the world today.  As long as they aren't bullying things are fine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)