Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much is prom/ graduation/ senior things where you are or expect them to be?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

We just got DD1s graduation packet in the mail. It includes information for prom, senior activites (both required and not), and graduation itself. I added up just the basic and I'm a little quesy. We live in a basic middle class area and expenses will be at least a grand. That doesn't include prom dress, graduation party. Its $150 for cap/gown, $20 per ticket to graduation, $183 for prom ticket (single, couple is $300), parking at prom is $20 per car/ $30 per van/suv, parking at Graduation will be the same (same place). Plus there is a ton of other stuff. 

I'm just a little taken back, we never had these expenses when I graduated from this high school. We've put money away, planned on this year as expensive but still... $20 to see my child graduate, that should be a right not a payment required thing. I could understand 2 free tickets, payment for others maybe. 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Just out of curiosity where are you?  Those costs are outrageous.  Cap and Gown here was $45 we spent more than that though because we got announcements and some other things when we purchased the cap and gown.  Prom tickets were included in junior year fees which were $30 and that was prom for both junior and senior year.  Senior fees were $40 which included school ID, school T-shirt, Senior T-shirt and all senior week activities.  Every graduating students gets 8 tickets to graduation for no cost and parking doesn't cost either.

Paying$20 to see your child graduate is crazy

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM

All I can say is holy crap. We paid 25 bucks for the cap and gown no parking fee and no fee to watch them graduate. Prom is up to each student not part of a fee. They also didn't have to pay to park at prom. I don't know where you are or what the heck the school is thinking but it seems really excessive to me

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Graduation was free on the football field.  Prom was 75$ a ticket.  Plus all the other added expenses.  Senior pics were $550, more for my oldest.  Heck just to register kids for public school in HS runs over $100 in class and book fees, then a sports fee of $75 if they play, $150 a year for parking pass if they drive, $35 for an activitiy pass to get into football, BB, and hockey home games. 

handy0318
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Those costs sound crazy to me.  We live in a rural, lower cost area, and I understand things are far more expensive in cities, but wow... 

All the graduations I've been to, both here in Idaho and in California, were free on the football field as well...

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

We're in the Chicago 'burbs, and those costs are even a little low.  Prom will be Downtown, at the Great Hall in the Field Museum.  The bid is $300.  No singles.  There is NO parking.  Everyone goes in limos or party buses--average  is $800/limo.  Dinner is on the kids beforehand, because prom is just appetisers.  After the prom, kids take dance cruises, or rent Hansom cabs, so, figure another $300-400/couple.  Grad party the next day is a lockdown at the HS, and was $50 eleven years ago--I can just imagine what it is now.  Don't even get me started on the dress, shoes, gloves, undies, hair, mani/pedi, etc, etc.

Graduation fees are probably $200.  Grad pics --we spent $200, again, eleven years ago.   I can't speak to tickets and parking at graduation.  For us, it was $30 per car--no charge for the seats.   HOWEVER we were OUTSIDE at the 1st Midwest Amphitheatre, which seats 28,000.  My last kids' graduating class was 890; today's is about 1000.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Senior week was $320.  This includes a day at a Cape Cod resort , a lobster/clam bake in Maine, Six Flags, a dinner theater in a city out Side of Boston, the year book, the senior dance, cap/gown and the year book.  Prom, which is not a big deal for seniors, is $75.00 per person.  Senior Safari (an all night party) is 45.00.  Graduation is at an arena outside of town, and is free.

In my town prom is considered a Junior event, that seniors can attend.  Juniors wear evening gowns, and the seniors often wears shorter more casual dresses. The seniors are already mentally checking out.  Other than keeping up their grades, they are already making arrangements for their new life at college.  

racheal241977
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I am in Missouri & our cap & gown was 25.00, Announcements for the amount we ordered which I believe is 100 was 35.00 

Prom tickets is  seniors go for free, Juniors had to pay 50 a ticket last year, 

We got the info on the project graduation today, & its 15.00 ( its where the kids go to a hotel after graduation with the entire graduating class/ the ones who want to go). & they have HUGE prizes & what not, tv's mini fridges, ipads, iopds, blu ray players, dorm furniture, decorations etc... 

Senior Dues were 20.00 

I was honestly expecting to pay more, but glad we did not have to 

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM

It's $60 for cap and gown.  $150 for grad night (the night after graduation, totally secret location, everyone searched ahead of time, ONLY graduating seniors, no drugs or alcohol, all night party).

Prom tickets are $100 a person.  Dress and all that (my last 3 are girls) runs quite a bit higher.  Yearbook (well for each year) is $100 now.  Graduation we get 4 tickets, others are $25 each (up to a maximum of 4).  We can't have it outdoors - it rains too frequently.  Parking for graduation s about $10 (I have one graduating this year, 2 years ago was $10).  Parking for prom - not sure this year.  We never did senior pictures - none of the kids wanted them.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

i have no idea

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Here, senior party lock in is $50. That is the night before graduation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)