Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

mommy/daughter trouble

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 14 Replies
Hi, I am the mom of an 18 yr old girl (senior in HS) and I feel like she hates me. We have always gotten along. Suddenly this year everything I do seems to annoy her. She's a strait A student, in band, works part-time, seems happy, just not with me! My husband says I try too hard. Is he right?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I always figured I did my job right if my girls didn't like me at least half the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

It's possible you are trying to hard, it's hard to say since we don't have a window into your home.

She's 17, she may be looking for a little more freedom, and not have mom or dad hangin over her shoulder every time she turns around.

Try backing off a little and see what happens.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I think everyone reacts to stress and fear differently.  Do you think she could subconsciously be pushing you away because she knows that she will be flying the nest soon off to college?

sunflowers12
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably trying to hard take a step back give her some breathing room... She is a big girl treat her that way!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

goodsame here 

Quoting atlmom2:

I always figured I did my job right if my girls didn't like me at least half the time.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Is she planning to go away for college next year ? Many of my friends and I have talked about we think the senior year is a little rougher ...a lot sometimes ... because it is the kids way of beginning to pull completely away to live independently elsewhere.My older two and many of their friends were back and forth all senior year.Wonderful ,great moms then next thing broomstick riding moms then back again.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

LOL!

Quoting drfink:

broomstick riding moms 

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Yours held out longer than most to blame you for everything!  I've been getting that for several years already, but she's not 18!

I think we care too much.  Our Moms, at least in my generation, were too caught up in other things to focus too much on the kids.  I grew up way under the radar due to a chronically ill sibling, and it had good and bad results. Good, in that I was always happy to be around my Mom.  She was clueless and had no idea what I was doing.  Bad in that I made a lot of mistakes.  She could have warned me and tried to stop me, but I was headstrong and would not have listened. 

The older I get, the more brilliant I think she was.  She just said things to us about knowing we would do the right thing, and that we were very HONEST kids (arrrgh!), and that none of her kids would ever go to jail (way to set the bar there, Mom...but she was right.  No arrests!).  She just did her best and trusted we would turn out ok without taking it all so personally.  I wish I were better at that. 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

My best friend and I have discussed this too since we both have senior DD's.  We've come to the same conclusion. 

Quoting drfink:

Is she planning to go away for college next year ? Many of my friends and I have talked about we think the senior year is a little rougher ...a lot sometimes ... because it is the kids way of beginning to pull completely away to live independently elsewhere.My older two and many of their friends were back and forth all senior year.Wonderful ,great moms then next thing broomstick riding moms then back again.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:56 AM
It's a tough age, hang in there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN