Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Prom

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 13 Replies

Ok, so I'm a bit clueless.  I didn't go to my prom in highschool except to work it.  I handled decorations, announcements, etc.  So I wasn't there for the prom experience.

The problem I see is all this elaborate prom measures!  So expensive and must make sure no one has the same dress?  These prom dresses are going for more than my wedding dress (4 years ago!) cost!  And they only wear them once!

Is it really worth all this money to go to a dance?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

It only has to be as expensive as you let it. The clue to getting a dress no one else has is go vintage or buy the year before. I would never spend $300-$400 on a dress for a prom. Is it worth it? Yes. It's prom. You spend a lot on a wedding and that's only a one day event but the memories last a life time. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM
It is worth it to me. My dd's did not spend fortunes on dresses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
copgirl112
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Prom isn't that expensive if you spend wisely.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Like jessiejack said it is only as expensive as you let it be. There are less expensive gowns and shopping the consignment shops is a great idea for spending less money. Last year we had 2 going (son and daughter) so I had told my daughter if she got the dress she wanted (it was on the high end of the budget) then I wasn't paying for hair and nails. She got that dress hair, nails, and make up we're done at home. Not all schools do the over the top prices and such, our certainly doesn't. Is it worth it? Yes. It's a once in a lifetime thing. My DD went last year as a junior, she has no plans of going this year so I'm glad we were able for her to go last year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM

No way I would try a resale store and alter it!

rmfanfgljf
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM

My first prom dress cost me only 35 bucks......I found it in the Clearence rack at Dillards, and no one had that same dress. My second prom dress costed me about 100-200, I don't remember the price, and one other girl had that same dress. I kept both of those dresses in case my girls want a dress that no one else will have if they chose too.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

is it worth money to go to the dance.... it is for some kids, and not for others.  tell your child what you are willing to spend, and let them choose.  they can go and spend wisely or make up the difference.... or choose not to go.

we can not decide if it is important for our child... it is their prom, their opinion of how important.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Quoting sahlady:

is it worth money to go to the dance.... it is for some kids, and not for others.  tell your child what you are willing to spend, and let them choose.  they can go and spend wisely or make up the difference.... or choose not to go.

we can not decide if it is important for our child... it is their prom, their opinion of how important.

Exactly

bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:03 AM
I agree, it was important to my DS his junior and senior year so was def worth the money. I am thankful my parents paid for my prom as well, was a wonderful memory. I'm sure there are some kids though who could care a less. I know my dd, a freshman is already looking forward to prom one day

Quoting drfink:

Quoting sahlady:

Exactly

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM

We were at the flea market and found a prom dress for $5 during the winter.  My daughter loved it so I bought it not sure if she would still like it come prom time.  I figured if she didn't I could sale it and put what I got out of towards her dress.

She still loved it and did her own hair and nails but then again she is really good at it.  She had others wanting her to do their hair and nails but she spent her time getting herself ready so she could take her time.  So all it really cost was shoes and a purse so I came out good.

Right now places have their dresses on sale and you could probably get one for a good price that she really likes.

It is really up to how much you want to spend and when you shop. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN