Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Jobs?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 16 Replies

DS is looking for a job. The ex & I are trying to discourage him from going to fast food joints. We worked those in high school. While I was lucky (& ambishous enough) to get out of the field, my ex is not as lucky. We are going to be 40 in a few years & ex still works fast food. He complains about it all the time. I don't want our son stuck in a dead end job he loathes. So, I am trying to encourage him to find a job that does not involve fast food. 

Without going into details- name the place your teen works.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Mine did not work as teens. 21 yo waits tables. Why no fast food? I think every kid need to work in some sort of restaurant. Dh and I both did. I worked in a sub shop after getting married even.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Well in today's work world I would just be happy to have a job.. Not to mention the fact that there's lots of folks out there with degrees that are baby sitting and cab driving so on.. If he is old enough to get a job I think it's kinda his decision ... I have three kids that work in the restaurant industry they have all done well.. My oldest is in her second year of university and my second dd have moved away and my third kid is workin and high school my 16 year old is currently looking as well but nothing yet😕 but I hope something happens soon.. I think the experience is more important then worrying about the field at first.. I am sure he will not stay there if he so chooses ...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I guess I may be worried about nothing. Ex & I don't have degrees. DS wants to be an evangelist. I know he wants to go to a Christian college after school. He gets great grades (he was actually joking about how bad he did this quarter by getting a B in ONE class). And he is determined. I don't think he has a lazy bone in his body (when it comes to career & school goals- now typical teenage laziness yes.)

Quoting sunflowers12:

Well in today's work world I would just be happy to have a job.. Not to mention the fact that there's lots of folks out there with degrees that are baby sitting and cab driving so on.. If he is old enough to get a job I think it's kinda his choose I have three kids that work in the restaurant industry they have all done well.. My oldest is in her second year of university and my second dd have moved away and my third kid is workin and high school my 16 year old is currently looking as well but nothing yet😕 but I hope something happens soon.. I think the experience is more important then worrying about the field at first.. I am sure he will not stay there if he so chooses ...

sunflowers12
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Sounds as if he is goal oriented that's a good thing... But to me it doesn't matter if they decide to go to college or not I would support their decision and they make their own my up if what they really want to do and understand the affects of their decisions as well... Some of my kids are goal minded and some not either way as long as they are happy and doing something to care for them selves that's what's important!!! To me anyway...

Quoting sunflowers12:

Well in today's work world I would just be happy to have a job.. Not to mention the fact that there's lots of folks out there with degrees that are baby sitting and cab driving so on.. If he is old enough to get a job I think it's kinda his decision ... I have three kids that work in the restaurant industry they have all done well.. My oldest is in her second year of university and my second dd have moved away and my third kid is workin and high school my 16 year old is currently looking as well but nothing yet😕 but I hope something happens soon.. I think the experience is more important then worrying about the field at first.. I am sure he will not stay there if he so chooses ...
nsparky1964
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I started in fast food also as a teen, worked my way up to b regional manager making phat cash with full benefits..(40k, in 1999) ...left to go to college full-time, worse career move ever....
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM

My dd has worked mostly in the restaurant field. She started as a bus person/hostess in one place when she was 16. When it closed, she worked briefly as a cashier in a convenience store. She currently works as a server/fountain worker at Friendly's.

gonecrazi
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM

My 16 has just started looking for a job too.

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM

My kids have worked since the day they turned 16.  Odd worked at Michaels, the craft store, then got a job as a barista, and did that at a stand-alone coffee shop, Starbucks and then Borders cafe untill she graduated college and found a full time teaching job--so, probably 8 years.  Borders gave her benefits and health insurance, as long as she worked at least 24 hrs/week.

Ydd worked at Mindy Ribs, started bussing tables and ended up shift supervisor, untill SHE got a full time job in her field, and finished community college--so, 4 years for her.  And her boss liked her so much, he tried to get her to change her major to restaurant managment--but she declined.

The years in those jobs taught my kids valuable skills, and they formed friendships there that endured for years after they left.  There is NOTHING wrong with jobs in the food industry, and NO REASON it should be a dead end job--unless one ALLOWS it to be. 

bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:44 AM
If he goes to college and it's an expectation than working at a fast food restaurant now wouldn't hurt him. My DS is a soph in college. He never had any desire to work fast food, but if we had allowed him to work in high school it would have been ok. That being said, we didnt allow working in high school, also while in college, we want academics to come first while he is away living in dorms. This summer he had his first job at my work in the office answering phones, working the front desk, filing, and doing IT work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NYCitymomx3
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

My 16 y/o works at her dance studio (teaching 3 classes - about 3 hours every Saturday) in exchange for free tuition (which for her competition team is around $350/month).  She will continue teaching there next year too, but for a salary.

My 19 y/o works part-time as a bridal registry consultant and just landed a sweet part-time internship in Manhattan in her field of choice.    She worked in a pizzeria when she was 15, and a juice/smoothie store from ages 16 to 18.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN