Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Witnessed a head on collision

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM
  • 6 Replies

So we were coming home from dropping our almost 17 yr old sons girlfriend off at home and witnessed a head on collision.  Thankfully everyone was ok, they took the lady to the hospital as a precaution.

I have had some issues lately with this fear of my son getting his license in March and that just rejustified my fears.  My son will be 17 on Feb 13.  The kid who pulled out in front of the lady was 17 or 18.  The lady was 28 with 2 car seats in the back, thankfully the kids were not with her.  Both cars are totally trashed. 

We called 911 and checked on everyone, directed traffic and when the police got there they took our statements and we stayed until they got all the info they needed.  I don't know if I was shaking from the cold or from  fear and shock.  

One of my sons former classmates was killed in a motorcycle accident on Friday. 

I am just sooo freaked out, I don't know how I can let go after all this.  I know I need to, I know I have to but I just don't think I can!!!

HELP!! I need some reassurance!!!

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
You have not taught your son to be as careless as this young man was, have you? If you have taught him defensive driving and expect to set rules in part of getting the DL then all you can do is trust you taught him well.

We do everything we can, and then we hope they heard us. That's all any parent can do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jebekarue
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM

He is a very responsible driver.  It's not that I am not confident in his abilities even as a new driver, its everyone else I am worried about. 

Just in the last 2 weeks I have had 3 different teenage girls at 3 different times behind me at a stop sign with me trying to turn right, them wanting to turn left, them getting impatient so they cut around me into the oncoming traffic lane.  All I can think of is how in the hell do you think you are going to turn left if I can't even turn right???

Quoting hollydaze1974:

You have not taught your son to be as careless as this young man was, have you? If you have taught him defensive driving and expect to set rules in part of getting the DL then all you can do is trust you taught him well.

We do everything we can, and then we hope they heard us. That's all any parent can do

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Well.... We, can not protect them from everything their entire lives, I'm afraid.
Trust, hope, and faith is all we have.

It's not just vehicles, you know. Freak things can happen that you have never heard of can happen.

I hope you find the strength to let it go... I mean we have to let them grow up and go out into the world... Unfortunately, there aren't even bubbles to put our elementary students in. Just faith, hope, and trust.

Quoting Jebekarue:

He is a very responsible driver.  It's not that I am not confident in his abilities even as a new driver, its everyone else I am worried about. 

Just in the last 2 weeks I have had 3 different teenage girls at 3 different times behind me at a stop sign with me trying to turn right, them wanting to turn left, them getting impatient so they cut around me into the oncoming traffic lane.  All I can think of is how in the hell do you think you are going to turn left if I can't even turn right???

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The up side to teens driving is that as parents, we can set boundaries.   You can determine where and when your son will be driving.    By the time he is old enough to go wherever he chooses, he will have a few years of driving experience under his belt.

We all have to start somewhere.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:21 AM

It is very worrisome .My third takes his test on Wed morning.I focus on all the kids and adults I know that have not been in wrecks.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Teach him how important it is to not take his eyes off the road, to think ahead and to watch out for drivers like that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)