Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Completely off topic: Veggie Gardens

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 18 Replies

I am wanting to expland my veggie garden this year.  I've always done tomatoes and cucumbers and wanted to go into green beans, peas, corn and lettuce.  Does anyone else garden from seed?  Where do you get your seeds?  I tried going to lowes to get seeds before and tried to start inside one year and NOTHING grew.  I checked out southern states and the prices were fine BUT I don't need 1/2 lb of green bean seeds!  Do I?

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I can't help but I am going to watch the answers. I would love a small veggie garden but have no idea how to garden.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I have the same issue - smallest pack of seeds could last me 5 seasons!  Do the seeds last from yr to yr?

I did zucchni and yellow squash from seed last yr, super successful. Nothing grew from my planting of green and yellow bean seeds.

I'm going to try cucumbers also this year - glad to know they might be easy.

I always buy a tomatoe plant from a garage sale, since it's cheap and get's me a faster start.

I also, like you, wish to try lettuce this yr, and radishes and carrots.

I've done corn & carrots & onions in yrs past, it was pretty fool proof.

I moved into a house 2 yrs ago with mature raspberry bushes, strawberry plants and rhubarb. Those were a delight to harvest! I made jam. And after dinner we'd go pick our dessert.

ForeverLawst
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Try eBay for your seeds. I get great heirloom seeds off there. I've got my tomatoes started already along with some herbs inside under the grow lamp. My orchids are loving the grow lamp this year and have started to put flowers out. =) I still have one rather large tomato plant out by the pool that's still producing from last season. I've got about 1/3 of an acre out back I've been toying with planting melons or other vining crops this year. Should be an interesing spring.

02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I usually buy 1/4 lb of most seeds then if I feel I need more I go back.   I buy mine at a produce market in town but I live in a small town.  Do you have a farmers co-op where you live if so you can buy as many or as few as you need they weigh them and you pay for what you get.

I also can what I grow so it would depend on how much you will be using to how much you plant.  I have found seeds, plants, and even trees from lowes don't do very well at least around here.  The plants from walmart do better so if I do plants that is where I get them and they are even cheaper than lowes.   

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Since my garden space is so small I usually just buy already started plants.  I really want to try starting from seeds and thought about doing it this year but with us being in limbo and not knowing if we're moving this summer or not, I've decided to hold off and if we end up staying I'll just buy plants again.  I have been researching seed starting though and they said the biggest key is making sure the seeds are warm enough.  Even starting them in the house you may need to use a low heat heating pad.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I am lazy and buy the tiny plants.They start putting them on sales around Valentines day here plus there are great coupons in the paper.I buy at a discount nursery for spring and a local small specialized one for my much smaller fall garden.

I saw at our grocery store outside these cool cups that had the special starter dirt with growing matrix in discs that you wet and added the seeds .It was a good price I thought ,maybe around 10 for a tray of 50.Maybe I will try it for my green beans.

sunflowers12
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM
There are whole sell on line places n nersry may be able to hepl too... 🌻
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

We use a local farm supply store and we try to save seeds each year from the plants we grow.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I NEVER buy tomato plants at yard sales or flea markets, the last few times I did they had dieseases that destroyed my entire crop.  Might want to keep that one in a pot away from the rests.

As far as onions being fool proof, not when you had no idea not to BURY them!  That's what I did lol

Quoting annie2244:

I have the same issue - smallest pack of seeds could last me 5 seasons!  Do the seeds last from yr to yr?

I did zucchni and yellow squash from seed last yr, super successful. Nothing grew from my planting of green and yellow bean seeds.

I'm going to try cucumbers also this year - glad to know they might be easy.

I always buy a tomatoe plant from a garage sale, since it's cheap and get's me a faster start.

I also, like you, wish to try lettuce this yr, and radishes and carrots.

I've done corn & carrots & onions in yrs past, it was pretty fool proof.

I moved into a house 2 yrs ago with mature raspberry bushes, strawberry plants and rhubarb. Those were a delight to harvest! I made jam. And after dinner we'd go pick our dessert.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Well we ended up at Lowes and bought a bunch of different burbee seeds.  Also some transplant/starter containers and a small greenhouse.  This way I have them.  I'm wanting to can some this year, and maybe if I have an over abundance sell them at the farmer's market but I doubt that!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN