Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What can I do? DD threatening suicide.

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 42 Replies

I think my heart is breaking and I just don't know what to do.

Before Christmas, my 14 year old broke down and told us she didn't want to live any more. We took her to a psychiatrist who put her on a low dose of anti-depressants and recommended a therapist who she has seen every week for the last month.

I looked at her instagram last night and my heart broke. Four new posts saying I have no reason to live. I lost it - I went to her room and brought her to the Family room and said she could not be alone. She was going to sleep with me, and I would pick her up from school and bring her back to work with me so she was not alone. I couldn't stop crying and told her that I couldn't risk her hurting herself because she is my world and I love her too much to let her hurt herself. 

I can't stop crying. She goes to the therapist tomorrow, but I feel so helpless even though we are trying to get help. The psychiatrist increased the dose of her meds on Friday, but they take time to work.

Anyone have any ideas? I keep trying to show her how special she is (I bought her a bag of her favorite candy hearts on Saturday as a surprise), but she doesn't get it.  I am afraid.

Thanks for listening.  

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this

She needs intense therapy I would have her admitted for help in an outpatient program if you can find one if not then put her in an inpatient program. It may be hard but it will help her.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM

My thoughts  in house treatment ? I have zero experience momma. So maybe I am way off base ? I am so sorry for you and her. I will add you both to my prayers. I wish I could take away the pain that is causing her to feel this way. Please keep us updated. Hugs momma.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I would look into inpatient therapy, sounds like she needs more intensive therapy than what she is getting. Hugs and good luck.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM

If you are really scared that she will take her life, then you need to take her to the ER.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:13 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree with the other ladies, she needs to be admitted to an adolescent psychiatric hospital. It would probably be against her will, but as her mom, you would be signing her in. Please try to get her admitted mama, I WAS your daughter 25 yrs ago when I was 16. I was diagnosed with major depression at 16, in therapy, on meds, and I still overdosed a few times. My parents had to sign me into a psych hospital at 16, more than once. It will help your daughter AND keep her alive. Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kthomasson
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I completely agree with the other ladies.  Do not wait......do not take no for an answer.....your DD is crying out for help and I think you're trying your best but just aren't sure where to turn.  Take her to the ER and get her admitted immediately.  I'm sorry.  I've been in your position and it's hard, but it does get better.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Sounds like you're doing the right thing.  Has she said why she feels that way?

Teletubby836
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Ohh I feel for you. I have to agree with the other posters I'd take her straight to the emergency room get her help ASAP. My daughter is 14 and I discovered last year she had been cutting. Strange that she never mentioned wanting to end her life though. I also agree with you picking her up from school and keeping close tabs on her. When I discovered dds cutting I started going through the house finding everything that she could harm herself with then thought there is NO WAY I can get everything out of her that she could possibly use (I felt even more helpless). She went to counseling and is doing much better now. You don't mention any friends. Does she have a friend that you totally trust?? Maybe suggest she have weekend sleepovers. Maybe a good friend is what she needs right now as well? Good luck to you and her.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you called her psychiatrist.She is a danger to herself right now.Call now , tell everything ,leave nothing out.Till she is stabilized on her meds she needs to be cared for 24 hours a day.She can be more quickly admitted through her doc.
The beginning of meds can have real danger.While not relieving the depression yet it can cause a patient to have more energy.
If her doc is unavailable , please tell his service or Secretary the emergency it is.If you don't get a response take her to the hospital.Don't wait till tomorrow.
Hugs to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
little911
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Hugs Momma, I went thru that with my son but not only did he say he wanted to kill himself he said it in front of a cop and they took him to the hospital and they addmitted him to a phys hospital for a week til he could get on the right meds

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)