Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What can I do? DD threatening suicide.

Posted by   + Show Post

I think my heart is breaking and I just don't know what to do.

Before Christmas, my 14 year old broke down and told us she didn't want to live any more. We took her to a psychiatrist who put her on a low dose of anti-depressants and recommended a therapist who she has seen every week for the last month.

I looked at her instagram last night and my heart broke. Four new posts saying I have no reason to live. I lost it - I went to her room and brought her to the Family room and said she could not be alone. She was going to sleep with me, and I would pick her up from school and bring her back to work with me so she was not alone. I couldn't stop crying and told her that I couldn't risk her hurting herself because she is my world and I love her too much to let her hurt herself. 

I can't stop crying. She goes to the therapist tomorrow, but I feel so helpless even though we are trying to get help. The psychiatrist increased the dose of her meds on Friday, but they take time to work.

Anyone have any ideas? I keep trying to show her how special she is (I bought her a bag of her favorite candy hearts on Saturday as a surprise), but she doesn't get it.  I am afraid.

Thanks for listening.  

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Replies (41-42):
lazyd
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I am in fear of this every day.  My now 14yo has been a cutter and threatened suicide.  We even took her to the ER but they wouldnt hold her.  They dont have enough beds.  And we couldnt get her into a treatment facility unless the cops take her, well the cops wont take her unless she commits a crime!  This is how we treat our "mentally unstable" teenagers!  My daughter is on meds and is in therapy.  Slowly things are improving.  Heck, the whole family is in therapy!

bumNmoos_mom
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I am so sorry you are going through this and her too... I would say she needs to be admitted for a phsyc eval.. It may not make her happy or and It will hurt you to do it but it is for the best. Medication will not work unless you get down to the root of the problem. Yes she is mentally unstable and meds regulate that but you have to figure out what is getting her to that point.

I really wish you and your family the best and hope that you come to some kind of conclusion to this soon. I willbe praying for you and your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)