Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Moms of boys, I need help!!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 33 Replies
2 moms liked this

I dont come in here too much. Dd (17) was such an easy kid and an even more amazing teenager. Never gave me a single issue on anything. Sooooo i havent needed any advice until now.

My son is 11. This past few months he has been an emotional wreck. I'm starting to wonder if its the very early stages of puberty. This past year his looks have gone from little boy to preteen but he has no hair or body odor so besides looking more mature and his constant mood swings and crying he has no other signs of puberty. 

I know with girls they can start the mood swings a few years before they actually go through puberty. Is this true for boys too? 

Could this be the beginning of puberty?

Please share your stories so I don't feel so alone lol

Act like a lady, think like a man,so you don't get played like a bitch 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM

That was an awkward stage for both my guys.   It is the beginning of puberty.    That is the age that my sons were in 6th grade, which is middle school where we live.   It was an awful year!   My oldest really struggled with his friends growing up faster than him.   The friends were thinking they should have girlfriends and go to dances.....and my poor son just wanted to play ball and hang with his buddies.   It was an emotional time.

It does get better :)

tntmomof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Robbie is having the same problems. His friends are all talking about girlfriends. He's never even thought about it until they brought it up. Now he's all emotional about why he doesn't have one lol. He's in 6th grade for heavens sake lmao. 

An hour ago he started crying while watching the abused animal commercial. I mean full blown crying. I had no idea that boys do that!!! 

Quoting boys2men2soon:

That was an awkward stage for both my guys.   It is the beginning of puberty.    That is the age that my sons were in 6th grade, which is middle school where we live.   It was an awful year!   My oldest really struggled with his friends growing up faster than him.   The friends were thinking they should have girlfriends and go to dances.....and my poor son just wanted to play ball and hang with his buddies.   It was an emotional time.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

yes !!!! there was a joke when I was doing pre-adolescent and adolescent clinics in ancient times ...a family would be called " certifiably pre-adolescent " because every expects teens but not pre teens to be a handful at times so they are caught off guard .Ya hormones are raging.My 16 y.o. started 7th grade babyfaced , attitude plus and super hormones by the start of 8th he was in full physical change  and was heading  back to  being himself .

Hang in there he'll be back ; ) The shrink that over saw us said girl's hormones are like a rollercoaster and guy's hormones are like never ending tornedos. LOL

Bethsunshine
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I have a 13 year old and an almost 11 year old, both boys. The 13 year old has always been emotional but the last couple of years, he has gotten worse. Yes, this is the beginning of puberty, Mama!! My oldest son's body started to change almost 2 years ago too, hair under his arms, growing like a weed, filling out, plus the other fun stuff that I don't like to think about or talk about.

tntmomof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Lmao @ never ending tornados. 

Thank you both so much. I feel so much better. I was really concerned if this was normal. I don't want him being that strange kid. 

Soooo here's the million dollar question.... If the Dr said he won't hit true puberty until about 9th grade and he's currently only in 6th, will the emotional tornados last 3 years? I just need to prepare myself lol

Quoting drfink:

yes !!!! there was a joke when I was doing pre-adolescent and adolescent clinics in ancient times ...a family would be called " certifiably pre-adolescent " because every expects teens but not pre teens to be a handful at times so they are caught off guard .Ya hormones are raging.My 16 y.o. started 7th grade babyfaced , attitude plus and super hormones by the start of 8th he was in full physical change  and was heading  back to  being himself .

Hang in there he'll be back ; ) The shrink that over saw us said girl's hormones are like a rollercoaster and guy's hormones are like never ending tornedos. LOL

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Quoting tntmomof2:

Robbie is having the same problems. His friends are all talking about girlfriends. He's never even thought about it until they brought it up. Now he's all emotional about why he doesn't have one lol. He's in 6th grade for heavens sake lmao. 

An hour ago he started crying while watching the abused animal commercial. I mean full blown crying. I had no idea that boys do that!!! 

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Poor kid!  He is part little boy/part tween.   Just be his soft place to land.    I remember that was the year my son had his friends (just guys) over for a all night poker party!   My Dh stayed up all night with the guys playing Texas Hold Em.  We set up a poker table, made a huge pot of chili...and they drank Pop all night long and practiced their Poker Faces!  They had a blast!     Maybe something like that will cheer him up....... and remind his buddies that guy time is still important....and FUN.

tntmomof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a great idea. I think that would help him a lot. Especially because he spends most of his time with girls. He's on a competitive dance team and spends 22 hours a week in dance classes with all girls. He's the only boy in the whole studio. I think the all boy time would be great for him. Thanks. 

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting tntmomof2:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Poor kid!  He is part little boy/part tween.   Just be his soft place to land.    I remember that was the year my son had his friends (just guys) over for a all night poker party!   My Dh stayed up all night with the guys playing Texas Hold Em.  We set up a poker table, made a huge pot of chili...and they drank Pop all night long and practiced their Poker Faces!  They had a blast!     Maybe something like that will cheer him up....... and remind his buddies that guy time is still important....and FUN.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

It sounds like it may be the beginning of puberty. I have been through the teen years with my dd but it's all new with my son, lol. He is 10 soon to be 11, he too can be moody and emotional. Just this evening he was crying over something which didn't seem like a big deal to me but to him it was a heartbreaking situation. He's also been a little sassy and lippy which is new behavior for him. If I make it through this with him I will feel like a pro when my 7 y/o son gets there, lol.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I wonder what that means.Interesting.

Though 16 months apart my youngest started his swing just a few months after his older brother.He was in 6th then also .His was not nearly as hard as my 16 year old but still definitely there.At the yearly check up in Aug and he is in 9th  our pedi said they have both a year or so left of growing.They both had deep voices around the same time ,shoulders broadened etc and were calming down after about a year or so .Maybe the doc means peak and now things are slowing.She expects them to gain an inch to inch and a half in this next year or so.Since the tornado started they have grown at least 8 to 9 or so inches in 3 years.I think they have peaked in full puberty and slowing down now.So as I ramble my thoughts no not 3 years ,I think hormones can hit hard to get stuff going then the tornado slowly spins out.Our worst part with each was maybe a year then started getting much better.

My oldest son also was never hit as hard as his younger brothers.

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it is puberty.  Be prepared for much arguing and hormonal angst.  

I'm envious that you had such an easy ride with your daughter! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)