Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen son failing Math/Geometry Do you CM's punish or get tutor/take things away-Your thoughts please

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey Cafe Mom's,

I'm trying to do this the best way I know how so my son can get his studies together for Math and start passing. He does borderline with the homework but when it comes to quizzes and tests  he fails them or gets a low grade. The teacher has already recommended tutoring and he has been going off and on and I can't seem to get them to tell me if he was really there but of course he tells me he was or tells me that there isn't tutoring certain days blah blah blah. I just checked the school's website and learned he failed his Geometry midterm and now the whole subject for the current marking period with a 61. He never fails anything and is a B & A student! 

There is regualr tutoring in the school but I think I am going to get a paid tutor as well for the weekends. He loves his xbox and facebook/instagram (ya'll know the teens!) I was wondering would it be effective if I pull that stuff away or limit his time on them and hire a tutor and give him a chance to turn this around??

Any ladies with tween/teen kids that have dealt with this before and what were things that worked for you and your child?

Many thanks!

Toshi

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
Missy5326
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this
My son just got a 65 on his theology and history mid term. He is supposed to visit his godmother during april vacation. Deal was your grades are on you. I pay a hell of a lot in tuition so with those grades he wont be going any where and ha has to explained to his godmother who paid for his plane ticket. He is pissed. Im not paying for you to screw around, keep it up and im pulling his butt out of that school and i will take a vacation next year with his tuition money.
LuckyMom822
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I just found out today that my 13 yo daughter has FIVE F's. She has always been an A & B student. You probably know deep down if it is truly an issue he has with the subject matter and comprehending the subject or if he is blowing school off. In my daughter's case, she is blowing school off  but also has a comprehension issue in Algebra. Because of this, I have taken away her cell phone, iPod, and iPad as well as her tv. Also, I will be helping her with math homework every night. Your son may be completely different. If his social life and the gaming isn't the problem, then I would tutor. Believe it or not youtube has great videos that show kids how to do math problems in a simple easy to understand language. It's free tutoring and you are there with him so you know he is attending. 

proudmother5946
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:15 PM
My dd was having a terrible time in 7th grade with algebra. They put her in a high school level algebra class and she was not ready! She was spending all her time trying to do her math and she wasn't able to get her other work done. I had her switched to pre-algebra and enrolled her at Sylvan learning center. It really helped. Right now she's getting a C in 8th grade math. But she made honor roll and all her other grades are good.
I never took anything away from her because she was actively trying to get her work done.
disneymom2two
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he failing because he doesn 't understand it or is he failing because he's goofing off?  If its because he doesn't understand it, I'd get the tutoring but not take away the electronics/recreation.  I was a poor math student and only barely passed because I went after school every day for help.  I should have failed but showing effort got me those extra couple points to push my grade into a passing one.  My son is bright; he inherited my mom's math and science genes and my ELA and language genes.  However, he is lazy and his grades have reflected that in the past.  Since his issue was not misunderstanding but goofing off, I took away the computer except for homework and all game systemsduring the week.  If his grades had not gone up, they'd be gone on the weekend and I would have paid for tutoring.

Zamaria
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM
It would depend on the kid. If he was really trying and giving it his best effort, there would be no consequences, I would just arrange for him to work with the teacher one on one or get a tutor. If he just wasn't trying, he would lose all electronics, etc. and be required to spend a certain amount of time studying every day until the grade came up. I don't give consequences for bad grades. I give consequences for lack of effort.
My kids have limited time with electronics anyway though. 30 minutes a day during the week for any electronics that aren't for school work, including video games and tv, and an hour a day on the weekend or during the summer, and usually one movie a day on the weekend, although that is flexible, just depends on the situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this.

Quoting tyfry7496:

It depends on why he's failing. If he's truly not understanding the concepts then, no I wouldn't punish him but he'd be at Sylvan or another tutoring center. If he's failing because he's not doing the work or turning it in due to laziness, then he's be grounded.

As someone who struggles with math and failed Algebra 2 and Geometry, no amount of tutoring helped me. I just don't have a mind for math.

Toshi92
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Thanks Ladies, I tell you this forum ROCKS!

I have been letting my other single mom friends know about this site because it truly helps to get others insights. I appreciate the time it took for your responses twice over. ;-)

Toshi

Nena70
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Pay for a private math tutor that come to your house( college math student are great).

Talk to him and find out what is truely going on with him.  What are his goals and plan for life. 

Be supportive not emotional. Encouage if he is receptive. If not then take him out of geometry and put him back in algebra.

Have him repeat the class next year.  so he can succeed

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

What's the problem?  Is he not understanding it or is he not doing it?

annie2244
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Geometry is a love it or hate it kind of wierd thing. If you hate it,if you  don't get it, it can be a year of hell. I'd keep pushing/coercing the tutor angle, supplementing whatever tutoring he can get at school with a private one that comes to the house, perhaps once on the weekend plus one school night. And I'd remind your son to hang in there, you can't avoid geometry, ya gotta do your year, and then it's over, never to rear its ugly head in that concentrated a fashion again, for the rest of his life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)