Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Poll

Question: How can you tell when a girl is going to start her first period?

Options:

a couple of years after breast buds

within six months of underarm hair

by when she gets pubic hair

no tellling at all

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

One of my girls, I KNOW she'll tell me THE DAY (if not the minute) she starts her first period.  (She just wants to get the starting part over with.)
My other daughter, I'm not so sure she'll tell me.

My oldest developed breast buds THE night before her 11th bday.  Literally, she went to bed flat and woke up with them in the am.  Sounds weird to me, but it's true.  My second is 1.5 yrs younger and started about 6 mos after her older sis.  This was more than 2 years ago now, so...  I was told that girls start their periods a couple years after starting to grow breast buds.

I saw a post on here a while back about this.  I didn't have time to study the replies, but it seemed like the underarm hair is a better indication of when they'll start their period.  I noticed about a week ago that #2 has pit hair, but I don't think #1 does.

I don't care who starts first.  I'm not hung up on them telling me.  In fact, I have made all info available to them as I get it and I have asked no questions, but made sure they know that I'm here if they have questions or need to talk, and that I would like to know, but that I'm totally okay with them not telling me RIGHT when they start (as long as they know; and I impressed upon them the importance of keeping track, I have a period app and they know that I am careful to keep it up to date).  I digress.

Please help me know how to know about when they might start, so I can pass along accurate info to them.  I'm including a poll, please vote if one of the answers is accurate.  I would have liked to have had a better idea of when my period was going to start and, in hindsight, I wish I hadn't had to tell my SM; I'm pretty sure she advertised the pad she walked all the way to the other end of the house to get me, past everybody else, and I have to wonder if she deliberately didn't put some pads in "the kids' bathroom".

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this
There isn't a sure way to tell, as you can see from just the above 8 or so replies all girls are different. I made sure to talk to my dd about body changes and openly about my own period from a young age, so that when she started she had no discomfort what so ever when she came and told me. I also made sure I had all the supplies for her on hand and let her know her cycle more than likely would not be regular in the beginning, so she always carried around an extra tampon/pad just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
all of the above plus moody and hungry
3DependOnMe
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
My DD started her buds about a year ago, as well as hair. She still hasn't gotten her period as of yet. She has been saying her "boobs" hurt, they are a bit bigger than buds. As well as her tummy hurting. I think she's close. She's 10 1/2 now. I got mine at 11.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof3girls9250
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Its hard to tell honestly.. 1 of my daughters is 11 & she's is having the PMS mood swings during certain time of the month.. I feel it will be happening soon but my girls are very small built so it all depends on that as well. My oldest daughter didn't start until she was 13 and we didn't have hardly any signs with her.. I also can relate to not having anyone to ask as well. I don't have my mother or my gma either.. I wish you the best of luck :)

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I imagine you're probably right about a sure-fire way to tell.
I have been talking to them.  I kept an open-door policy when they were little (everyone except Daddy kept the bathroom door open while "pottying").  Anyway, #1 used to call any rolled up piece of paper a "crayon" lol, so when she saw me rolling up a pad, she called that a "crayon"; I corrected her that it was a "yucky crayon". lol  Anyway, I've been talking to both of them.  One is less receptive to the idea of even being a girl; it's soooo inconvenient when you want to be in the NFL when you grow up. <re>

I like the idea of celebrating.  We don't eat out, but I'd want to do something special.  I'm also not into those coming of age "Red Parties", so I haven't decided.  Maybe I'll crochet them each something with a big red circle in the middle. (JK).

I'm tired.  Sorry.  I get chatty.  I'll go now. :-)
Thank you!!!

Quoting woodswalker:

I dont think theres a sure-fire way to tell.  Just start talking to them now about what will happen and what to do.  And show them where you keep the pads and how to use them.  Most likely they will tell you right away anyway. 

By the time your daughter is 10 at least you should already have been discussing menstruation and that her first period might happen any time.  Some of my daughters friends started in fifth grade and some still dont have it yet halfway through 7th. 

Mine got her first one this past September.  She was 12.  She told me right away.  Glad I was home and not working.  I always wondered if I would be there when it happened or if I'd be freaking working:)  We celebrated with a dinner out at her favorite place. 

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM

LOL  We've got that covered.  She seems to PMS with me.  I don't advertise (anymore) when I'm PMS-ing cuz I don't want it to be a let down for her if she doesn't start.  But she gets moody and hungry about the time I'm PMS-ing.  She's a little moody otherwise, but it gets out of hand for almost 2 weeks before my periods; she's A LOT more hungry during that time too.

Thank you!

Quoting suesues:

all of the above plus moody and hungry

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

My oldest has been pre-PMS-ing with me for ??? about 6 mos, maybe less.  She's built long and lean; she doesn't look unhealthy, but she could stand a little more muscle; built like a bean pole. lol  I started at 13 too, but she's a little uptight b/c she's past 13.5 and still hasn't started.  She doesn't WANT to get her period (she sees what a pain it is for me, figuatively and literally); she just wants to get the STARTING over with. :-\

Thanks for your reply. :-)

Quoting momof3girls9250:

Its hard to tell honestly.. 1 of my daughters is 11 & she's is having the PMS mood swings during certain time of the month.. I feel it will be happening soon but my girls are very small built so it all depends on that as well. My oldest daughter didn't start until she was 13 and we didn't have hardly any signs with her.. I also can relate to not having anyone to ask as well. I don't have my mother or my gma either.. I wish you the best of luck :)

momof3girls9250
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I hear ya 100% on the pre PMS.. And you discribe my middle daugther to a tee.. she's tall & lean as well. She is also abit scare to get her period but I'm doing everything I can to make it an easy transition when it happens. But its kinda hard still tho.. 

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, mine is COMPETELY against change of ANY kind.  If we believed in evolution, she'd think we'd have been better off sticking with the swamp. <re>

She's well prepared.  If anything, she's too well prepared.  It's weird; it's like, since she feels prepared, she thinks it should happen.  "Okay.  I'm ready.  Let's get this over with." lol

Quoting momof3girls9250:

I hear ya 100% on the pre PMS.. And you discribe my middle daugther to a tee.. she's tall & lean as well. She is also abit scare to get her period but I'm doing everything I can to make it an easy transition when it happens. But its kinda hard still tho.. 

aprilmcgraw
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Mine is 12 and a b cup.Still no signs of it.My niece started at ten and still is a training bra size a year later.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN