Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How do you balance housework/chores and internet browsing?????

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 17 Replies

I want to know how you all manage housework and internet browsing. Do you have any specific time to check your facebook and other sites your subscribed to and your emails etc? Or, do you keep checking on and off, whenever you wish. How do you balance? Sometimes, I find it very hard to balance and my housework goes for a toss!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I homeschool three kids so I usually check email and play on the comuter while they are working independently. That keeps me in the area to be available to answer quetions or help as needed.

I work on housework/chores as well though if I vacuum, the two younger ones screw off thinking Mom cant hear them @@ LOL  

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I don't have a set time but make myself get up and switch laundry, run a vacuume, or do some dishes. I saw somewhere that someone posted a list right on their computer it said before you turn me on do one of the following for 15 minutes. 1 was a load of dishes, 2 was a load of laundry, 2 was run on the treadmill for 15 minutes, read a chapter in a book etc.... You could post this and make your self do something every hour on the hour for 15 minutes. Set a timer. 

xoxRachelxox
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I clean and when I take a break, I check in on here and facebook. Some days, I don't even get on the computer until I get my cleaning out of the way.

momof98and03
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

hmmm....pretty much you all are organized. I really get so addicted and glued to computer somedays, I totally forget the world around me. I know its so damaging but this has been going on since few months in a row now. I seriously need some suggestions and help.

momof98and03
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Isn't it really tough to homeschool kids? And that too you said 3 kids!!  So, how do you know they have really learnt something? And how do they get promoted to next grade? Just curious to know becos I have never come across someone homeschooling kids in real life.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I homeschool three kids so I usually check email and play on the comuter while they are working independently. That keeps me in the area to be available to answer quetions or help as needed.

I work on housework/chores as well though if I vacuum, the two younger ones screw off thinking Mom cant hear them @@ LOL  

daughter77
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Im about to hire somebody so I can pay my bills I have to make myself lay the couch and enjoy myself on the Internet while the baby sleep most the time I wait for my husband to come home from work and I'll go on for 15 minutes or so. o! I love that I can talk to my phone instead of text I'm actually speaking this text. I'm a slow texter
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
daughter77
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM
sadly this month I missed four bills my husband was very upset so that's why I'm thinking about hiring somebody for an hour or 2 to watch the baby
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I t isn't so bad now that they are older and can do a lot independently. It is difficult because all three are doing totally different things and it takes me longer to review and grade everything than a teacher with one answer key. It also take about 3-4 hours each weekend to make lesson plans and assignment sheets forthe upcoming week.  It was very hard when Ds2 and DD were younger because she is VERY strong willed and he has a learning disability. I actually did a lot of their material the same, I just expected more from his answers.

We use a homeschool charter school that provides curriculum and I report to them nce a month. I don't do a lot of testing like a typical school does but they meet proficient or above proficient on their annual state testing so I'm happy.

If we did it independently they wouldn't have a specific grade and be "promoted" annually - they would finish one book level and go on to the next.  DD who was 3rd grade was doing a 5th grade Grammar book last year - because she's capable and bored with anything easier where as my 6th grader ALSO did the same 5th grade book because I though he needed a stronger foundation - he needed more erteaching because of his disability. 

Quoting momof98and03:

Isn't it really tough to homeschool kids? And that too you said 3 kids!!  So, how do you know they have really learnt something? And how do they get promoted to next grade? Just curious to know becos I have never come across someone homeschooling kids in real life.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

momof98and03
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Do you plan to homeschool them till 12th grade? What if they have doubts in subjects like math and what about science projects and labs? You are really doing an awesome job, I should say.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I t isn't so bad now that they are older and can do a lot independently. It is difficult because all three are doing totally different things and it takes me longer to review and grade everything than a teacher with one answer key. It also take about 3-4 hours each weekend to make lesson plans and assignment sheets forthe upcoming week.  It was very hard when Ds2 and DD were younger because she is VERY strong willed and he has a learning disability. I actually did a lot of their material the same, I just expected more from his answers.

We use a homeschool charter school that provides curriculum and I report to them nce a month. I don't do a lot of testing like a typical school does but they meet proficient or above proficient on their annual state testing so I'm happy.

If we did it independently they wouldn't have a specific grade and be "promoted" annually - they would finish one book level and go on to the next.  DD who was 3rd grade was doing a 5th grade Grammar book last year - because she's capable and bored with anything easier where as my 6th grader ALSO did the same 5th grade book because I though he needed a stronger foundation - he needed more erteaching because of his disability. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I plan to continue as long as it is in the best interest of each child.

My oldest wanted to go back to public school this fall, to one of the local high schools that has a robotics and engineering program. It's a program you have to apply to. We were able to get him into the school but the counselors were rediculous. He has done 3 years of Algebra (1 year pre and 2 of different curriculums - I didnt feel the first one we used was strong enough) and they REFUSED to let him even test into Geometry- they wanted him to do a fourth year of Algebra. Same thing with Spanish...He has studied THREE YEARS of spanish. They wanted him to take Spanish 1! The couselor said (with me sitting right there) Take Span1, It's an EASY A" ...Ns to say ..after 4 days DS said he was TOTALLY BORED and asked to return to the charter school.

For classes that have labs, or we don't think we can handle, they offer core classes at a local Learning Center. It also has a free tutoring lab during school hours.  It's in an Office park and they have classrooms, student store, etc. They have electives- art, choir, theater, guitar, keyboard. Just about whatever we want except team sports.

LOL DS is very squeamish (sp?) so he passed on the lab portion of biology. He will probably want to do the Physics lab at the learning center. He is doing  9rade Literature , Spanish 2, Small buisness management and Computer word processing all at the Learning Center this year. (See grade brag post) LOL

Some subjects, like math, we have the program that comes with a DVD instructor. So he watches the lesson and then does the work. A few times I've had to watch it and them help him but for the most part he's very independent.

The 7th grader also goes to the LC 2x a week for Literature, Art  and tutoring.

The 4th grader goes one day a week and is in a "group" class - 1st-5th grade based on the old one-room schoolhouse model.The older kids teach and mentor the younger kids and the younger kids are challengedto work on the harder concepts with help as needed.  We love it!

Quoting momof98and03:

Do you plan to homeschool them till 12th grade? What if they have doubts in subjects like math and what about science projects and labs? You are really doing an awesome job, I should say.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN