Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

ipod in school

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM
  • 35 Replies

Today my son ( 11th grade) called form school and said teacher took his ipod and could not get it back til the end of the day. I told him next time he would put it away. He then called again and said the school would not let him call home( he had called from a friends phone ) and they are trying to take his ipod every day and give him  three days ISS. Not sure what to think about the school keeping the ipod at school. Students have had they're stuff damaged by the school for reasons like this.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Many schools keep them forever the 3rd time they catch kids. If that is their policy, it is the rules and their policy. Why does be bring it if he knows the rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ellinger03
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM

All the kids bring they'r phone but a few of the teachers are mean and do what ever to show it

ellinger03
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM

He allowed to bring it to school just put it away in class.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Then he needs to keep it in his backpack.

Quoting ellinger03:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ellinger03
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I agree

Quoting atlmom2:

Then he needs to keep it in his backpack.

Quoting ellinger03:

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM

i wonder what the circumstances were... that seems VERY extreme to have an in school suspension.  

heck, in some classes ipods are welcomed.  in art classes if the kids want to listen quietly while painting, turning, etc, they are more than welcome to have them.  

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

The policy at the schools here is that if they are visible they are taken and a parent comes to get them at the end of the day.  The second time, the parent can get it at the end of the school year.  They don't care if its a phone that you have a contract on.  All the students and parents sign the rules and regulation book and it's in there.   Most parents get irate about it because they didn't read it.

What does a kid need an ipod at school for anyways?  As for phones, no problem with them having them, but they need to be off and out of sight unless there is something going on that's an emergency.  They've had too many people taking pictures of tests and then texting them on to the next class (the next day) so they know what to study, or cheating the same way.

ellinger03
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM

OK......here is the update....He had been warned about having his ipod during class and was to put in in a bucket on the teachers deck at the beginning of class. Well he did not do that. Wich ISS is still a bit much for this.Then I find out the teacher was YELLING at him. I talked to the teacher when school let out to get his ipod back and teacher wants to yell at me.So I heard what he had to say. I had to tell him to lower his voice. When I told him I did not like his behavior towards  my son he did not want to hear it. What should I do about the teacher , I know what I'm going to do with my son.

ellinger03
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM

He can text me or his Dad. He should not have had it out in class.Only between classes or at lunch.

Quoting fantasticfour:

The policy at the schools here is that if they are visible they are taken and a parent comes to get them at the end of the day.  The second time, the parent can get it at the end of the school year.  They don't care if its a phone that you have a contract on.  All the students and parents sign the rules and regulation book and it's in there.   Most parents get irate about it because they didn't read it.

What does a kid need an ipod at school for anyways?  As for phones, no problem with them having them, but they need to be off and out of sight unless there is something going on that's an emergency.  They've had too many people taking pictures of tests and then texting them on to the next class (the next day) so they know what to study, or cheating the same way.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Look in the handbook and see what the policy is, it should be spelled out completely. If they are giving him a punishment more than what is spelled out in the handbook I would say something, but if they are holding to the rules I would leave it and let your son learn his lesson. Is this the first time they took it away?  Are school first time the school keeps it until the end of the day, parents have to pick it up.  Not sure what happens on the next offenses.  My son got his Ipod taken once and my DH and I picked it up a few days later when it was convenient for us (school will absolutely not give it back during the school day, has to be after the last bell of the day)  He never got it taken away again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN