Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Extracurricular activities...

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 21 Replies

I have always been of the opinion that kids need to be involved in something (sports, clubs, dance, whatever).  It just seems to make them more well rounded and keeps them out of trouble.  The SD that I raised and the DD and SD that I'm currently raising all did sports and have never had problems out of them (other than normal teen stuff).  My other SD that I raised I couldn't get to do anything.  She'd try and quit.  She ended up staying with her mom over the summer at 16 and coming back home pregnant.  She has struggled her whole life. 

Now, it might have been that that's just her, and not all kids need to be involved.  So now I'm dealing with my DS, who's 14, he's done soccer since he was 5.  Last year he broke his foot during a game, and once healed, the next game he sprained his wrist.  He wanted to try something different, so he's doing track.  This is the third week of practice and he wants to quit.  He loves computers and is so smart.  He's shy and not social.  He comes home and plays (remotely with his friends) on xbox and computer as much as I will allow.  He makes good grades, he has gone to some basketball and football games, and he got student of the month last month.

So what do you moms think?  I don't want him to go down a bad path.  I don't want him to end up a kid that just stays locked up in his room playing video games all day.  He says he'll try soccer next year, but I'm afraid he'll try that and decide not to do it either, or he'll be so out of shape for soccer that he won't make the team.  BTW, I haven't paid any money for track yet, so that's not an issue.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM
What about a club. Mine had to do several things. Need it for college apps also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleeblended
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM

The bad part is it's a county school, not a whole lot of clubs.  Like FFA (Future Farmers of America) - he's not a farmer.  :)

jazzgirl205
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM

There's art.  Is there a drama club?  He could do tech and scenery.  What about music lessons.  Regular practice improves brain function.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Although I'm a big fan of sports, that isn't the ONLY extracurricular activity.  I had one daughter that was president of the french club.  My youngest is president of JSA (Junior States of America) - a political group.  She's also involved with a youth council for a local congressman, and with tech theatre (lighting and sound).  There are lots of other things - what about a robotics club, or something else like that that interests HIM?

sleeblended
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

He didn't want to do art...I didn't think about the tech and scenery for drama, he might like that.  And no, he wouldn't do music either.

sleeblended
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM
I'm going to have to suggest the drama club thing. He might like golf too, and they have a golf team. I love him to death but he's such a nerd...he can do just about anything with a computer, and wants to learn how to build games, he tried robotics but he didn't like it. They don't have anything for computers at our school or even in our town.
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM

He sounds pretty normal.  At his age, I wasn't interested in sports, BUT I wanted to go be with my friends.

tammeee3
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM
we have robotics club.. they can do programming with the computer or building or driving.. very good club they all help each other and others ..maybe your school had something similar.. he might want to try
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nuts4scouts
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Get a list of the clubs at school. Sit down with him, and see if any interest him.

If he is interested in something, and his school does not have a club for it, he can always start one. He should talk to his friends to see if there is an interest, and then talk to the school administration.

What about local youth groups? Church, Scouting, 4-H?

Swimming is a great way to stay in shape.

Volunteer time at a hospital, food bank, pet shelter, before/after school program, etc.

nuts4scouts
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Instead of filling your kid's time with a lot of outside activities, consider doing things WITH them.

Take a fun class.

Go hiking.

Go riding - bike/horse.

Visit museums.

See a play.

Go to programs put on by local organization/agencies.

Sign the whole family up to do volunteer service together.

Join the YMCA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN