Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Extracurricular activities...

Posted by   + Show Post

I have always been of the opinion that kids need to be involved in something (sports, clubs, dance, whatever).  It just seems to make them more well rounded and keeps them out of trouble.  The SD that I raised and the DD and SD that I'm currently raising all did sports and have never had problems out of them (other than normal teen stuff).  My other SD that I raised I couldn't get to do anything.  She'd try and quit.  She ended up staying with her mom over the summer at 16 and coming back home pregnant.  She has struggled her whole life. 

Now, it might have been that that's just her, and not all kids need to be involved.  So now I'm dealing with my DS, who's 14, he's done soccer since he was 5.  Last year he broke his foot during a game, and once healed, the next game he sprained his wrist.  He wanted to try something different, so he's doing track.  This is the third week of practice and he wants to quit.  He loves computers and is so smart.  He's shy and not social.  He comes home and plays (remotely with his friends) on xbox and computer as much as I will allow.  He makes good grades, he has gone to some basketball and football games, and he got student of the month last month.

So what do you moms think?  I don't want him to go down a bad path.  I don't want him to end up a kid that just stays locked up in his room playing video games all day.  He says he'll try soccer next year, but I'm afraid he'll try that and decide not to do it either, or he'll be so out of shape for soccer that he won't make the team.  BTW, I haven't paid any money for track yet, so that's not an issue.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Replies (21-21):
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I lived in the country for a while. There isn't much to do. What about a small weekend job or volunteer work? The library may need someone who is good with computers to help people who are using them. OR the electronics store may need some weekend help cleaning the place up and washing windows. Something to keep him busy but also something he enjoys doing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)