Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

threats at school

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

Would you send your child?

Yesterday I got an email saying that the school had a bomb threat found on the bathroom wall on Tuesday night. The school had been cleared by the state police and all was well. When my daughter got home yesterday I asked her about it and she had no idea. Today my daughter calls me at noon time telling me she was outside the school because of a bomb threat. 15 minutes later I get an automated call telling us to come pick up our kids that school is closing and the kids would not be able to re enter the school. Again I took all of this  very calmly and figured it was a child trying very hard to get out of midterms. But at the same time its a serious situation and needs to be delt with. What makes me mad is, we all know what kind of world we live in today. When threats are made like this you need to take it seriously. I did just that but with out over reacting. My feeling is the school did not react fast enough or in the right manner. The threats were found at 10:20  and 10:40 am but they did not evacuate the school until 12:00. or call parents for another 15 minutes. That seems like a long time if there is a bomb in the school. They also allowed the children to go to lockers before exiting the school. This gave way to much time for someone to harm these children if they wanted to. I know my child needs to return to school but we are both a little fearful of her going when the school does not even have a solid plan for something like this. What would you do?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
pasteeater
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I dont know. That's very scary. I think I'd keep my son home for a day or two. Sounds like the school can't get it together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zamaria
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd be concerned for sure. I would want to speak with the principal before sending my child back and find out more about why it took them so long to evacuate. I would also see how my kid felt about it. If my kid was truly uncomfortable going back, I would probably make other arrangements.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM
I did not send mine. Happened here. Knew most were staying home so send your kid to school to do nothing, or keep them home to do nothing. 2/3 of parents or more kept their kids home. Had another one during school day. Kids spent 3 hours on the soccer field then were sent home 30 min early.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:16 PM
They do not send the kids out right away till secured. Scared someone is outside getting ready to ambush kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I went through this alot when my daughter was in school I always figured better safe than sorry do whatever makes you both feel safe

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:23 PM

The good thing is it was kinda warm today and the rain had stoped but the winds were bad. Tomorrow it will be a high of 18. I hope they have better plans if its that cold out. 3 hours on a soccer field seems a little much to me. Most of the kids did not get lunch today and were out doors in gym shorts and no jackets.

Quoting atlmom2:

I did not send mine. Happened here. Knew most were staying home so send your kid to school to do nothing, or keep them home to do nothing. 2/3 of parents or more kept their kids home. Had another one during school day. Kids spent 3 hours on the soccer field then were sent home 30 min early.

momto3infl
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM

They are pretty certain then it was kid who made the threats, they wouldnt have allowed that other wise.  My oldest dd's school had this happen last year 3 within 14dys of each other.  I personally had school bomb threats back in the late 80's while in middle school at least 2 a month for several months in a row.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM
The day they were on the field for 3 hours it was 75 degrees. You could fight traffic and homeland security and police to find your kid. I didn't.

Quoting Jessiejack:

The good thing is it was kinda warm today and the rain had stoped but the winds were bad. Tomorrow it will be a high of 18. I hope they have better plans if its that cold out. 3 hours on a soccer field seems a little much to me. Most of the kids did not get lunch today and were out doors in gym shorts and no jackets.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)