Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Online Video Gaming

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hey everyone...

My son is always playing games online on his computer, and with them, I can tell he is chatting with people(strangers) that he is playing against. I am finding myself very unconfortablle with this but not too sure what to do. My worry is that I do not know what is happening in these games - is he getting bullied, etc. I can tell he has picked up some new swear words these past days. Wondering if anyone is experiencing the same or if anyone has any input/advice???

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My 11 year old does also, we have rules though. He can only do it at the main computer where he can be heard by everyone in the house. He has to be willing to hand over the headset at any point, meaning I can just walk up and take it from him and he is to say nothing. He is also not allowed to erase his chatting (written ones), I do check them every once in a while. As long as rules are followed he can continue to play.

I will say he has met one young kid from Germany, and has learned a lot about their country. I have even spoke to him, so don't discount the friendships right away, but make sure you are active in what goes on.

MamaSnaps
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If his behavior is changing and alarming you put a stop to it! He knows your expectations and until he can live by them, he just plain won't play.

flprincessmom
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM

how old is your son?

amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Agree!

Quoting MamaSnaps:

If his behavior is changing and alarming you put a stop to it! He knows your expectations and until he can live by them, he just plain won't play.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM

My nephew gamed online for years and made some really good friends on line.  Once he became an adult he even met them in person and they are still good friends.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

My 11 year old does also, we have rules though. He can only do it at the main computer where he can be heard by everyone in the house. He has to be willing to hand over the headset at any point, meaning I can just walk up and take it from him and he is to say nothing. He is also not allowed to erase his chatting (written ones), I do check them every once in a while. As long as rules are followed he can continue to play.

I will say he has met one young kid from Germany, and has learned a lot about their country. I have even spoke to him, so don't discount the friendships right away, but make sure you are active in what goes on.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Are theyre things that concern you?  Why are you worried about bullying?  Does he seem up set after being on the game?  I say be in the room when he is doing this, listen to his half of the conversations,or if he is chatting by typing just randomly check the chats.  If you pick up things that concern you then limit or take away the game.  As far as the swearing goes remind him to watch his language.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

What game and how old is your son?

Have you talked to him about online predators/stalkers and not to disclose too much information online?

My son plays Xbox Live a lot, and I agree that he's learned some bad language and stuff from it. But I've also talked to him about online safety and not disclosing too much information. Most of his friends, he knows somehow in real life, but he has made a few friends online that live in other states.

Mel289
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM

My son is 11....His game-play time just keeps on increasing day after day. I will start putting time limits on heir game play.

In regards to voice chat, I have been reading may articles that talk about bullying in these games. I guess the worry is that Im not sure if any cyberbullying is happening in these game spaces - if my son and his friends are doing any of the bullying and vice versa. The people that they chat with in these games are from different age groups and I dont know if any of the older players in age use inappropriate language with my son while they play WoW.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM

You don't know any of that anytime he walks out the door. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)