Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do You Ground Your Teen For Being 1 Minute Late According To YOUR Clock?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

My sons girlfriend was over & when we take her home if she's 1 minute late he grounds her but according to my clock we're at least 4 mins early.  He doesn't realize everyone's clock are not set with his. I told him I could understand if she's 15 mins or later on being late but a minute?  What's your opinion?  

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bribren
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I would start taking her home 5 minutes earlier than what your clock says.I am sorry but he is her parent so he makes the rules.You might not think it fair but fair or not he is her parent.

Now would I freak out over a minute, No but each parent is different. I don't allow my daughters to go over to boys houses. Even with a parent present.So her dad is more lenient than I would be in that situation.  

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Personally I would talk to the girl the next time she's over and just casually ask her about her home life. A parent grounding someone for a minute, seems a little controlling and scary to me. I would just casually enquire about other rules in the house and if it seems over the top I would find a way to speak to a teacher/guidance counsellor. Is there anything else that concerns you? does he question her extensively on what she does at your house?

Buggy979
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM
No, if they are 15 minutes then yes a problem would arise..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
troubleX4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM

we always make sure our clocks are at the same min and the son knows he better be in 5 mins before to be safe....

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I think it's a bit over the top.  But, now that you're aware of the "time difference", I guess, just make sure you take her home earlier to be on the safe side.

mymanben
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I got grounded once for 2 weeks for being 3 minutes late. Funny thing is I went to the store for her because she was to lazy to go herself. We lived 10 minutes (almost exactly) from the store but there was a horrible car accident. So I called her to tell her I was stuck. I got grounded.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM

WOW. I'd just make sure to have her home a half hour early. That is absurd!!! Especially if there are other parents being responsible for her.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:31 PM
She prob should realize at this point her parents are a little over the top and make sure she is home early
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marlene14
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I'm usually early everywhere I go but with the circumstances she doesn't want to go home, she bawls when she has to go home.  I start trying to get them out the door at least a half hour before she has to be home but with her not wanting to go it's hard to get them moving. Yes, her dad is a controlling ass, we've gotten into it a few times because of it, we did today.  He hates it because I won't let him bully me around then starts threatening his daughter...A little more about the situation, she's 31 weeks pregnant & she's really needing my son at this time but her dad doesn't allow them to see each other but once or twice a week for a few hours.  I let him know I got birthing classes set up for them & he went off saying how I need to start paying his gas & everything else (he's not had to put out a dime for dr bc she's on medicaid & I do all the driving to all the classes & everything else for them) but I had to fork over money for the birthing classes, maybe I should have him pay me for half of that cost & the gas money to take both of them....it's always been about money to him.  As soon as he found out she was pregnant he was already talking about getting money out of us.  She is wanting my son to have custody bc she doesn't want their daughter living in that environment, that's going to be a huge scene bc all he sees is dollar signs when that baby comes.  He's married with 3 other kids yet has a pregnant fiance on the side (due bout the same time as his daughter), when he's not yelling at her he ignores her, they live in a small trailer with no room for a baby,.....she wants to move in with us to raise the baby with my son instead of in a 'broken' home, she'd have her own room of course but without his permission nothing can be done.  It's all a big mess!!!

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Actually depending on what state you are in; once she has the baby the dad can't tell her that she can't move out.

Quoting Marlene14:

I'm usually early everywhere I go but with the circumstances she doesn't want to go home, she bawls when she has to go home.  I start trying to get them out the door at least a half hour before she has to be home but with her not wanting to go it's hard to get them moving. Yes, her dad is a controlling ass, we've gotten into it a few times because of it, we did today.  He hates it because I won't let him bully me around then starts threatening his daughter...A little more about the situation, she's 31 weeks pregnant & she's really needing my son at this time but her dad doesn't allow them to see each other but once or twice a week for a few hours.  I let him know I got birthing classes set up for them & he went off saying how I need to start paying his gas & everything else (he's not had to put out a dime for dr bc she's on medicaid & I do all the driving to all the classes & everything else for them) but I had to fork over money for the birthing classes, maybe I should have him pay me for half of that cost & the gas money to take both of them....it's always been about money to him.  As soon as he found out she was pregnant he was already talking about getting money out of us.  She is wanting my son to have custody bc she doesn't want their daughter living in that environment, that's going to be a huge scene bc all he sees is dollar signs when that baby comes.  He's married with 3 other kids yet has a pregnant fiance on the side (due bout the same time as his daughter), when he's not yelling at her he ignores her, they live in a small trailer with no room for a baby,.....she wants to move in with us to raise the baby with my son instead of in a 'broken' home, she'd have her own room of course but without his permission nothing can be done.  It's all a big mess!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)