Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

NOT ALLOWED to carry a purse in school, WTH!?!?!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I am kinda PO'D!! My daughter is 13 !/2 years old, she started her period last year and she thought it would be a good idea to carry a purse during the day to put all of her essential things in like her feminine products, her inhaler, lunch money ect. WELL, The teachers yelled at her to go put the purse in her locker NOW, You can NOT carry that with you!! I think this is wrong and I want to call the school and *B* them out but I'm not sure if I should, it just really doesn't seem fair!!! What do you ladies think??? Give me some advice~Please!

P.S. This happend the other day and she has been carrying her inhaler & money in her pockets but now with feminine items, it's just too much to stuff in her pockets~

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
MamaSnaps
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I think most schools are like that now. It's a question of safety-a LOT can be hidden in a purse. 

Get a pocket for inside one of her binders and put things in there.

EyEmTuRtLe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM

When my DS started middle school they announced that kids could not carry any bags of any kind that were not issued by the school. So if you had to carry something like an inhaler, tampon or anything it better fit in your pocket. Or it stayed in your locker. 

All the girls I know naturally freaked out about not being allowed to carry a small purse. 

Some of the rules are seriously stupid. But then again so are some of the ones in the high school.

proudmother5946
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I just asked my dd if they are allowed to carry anything at school. At her school they carry their backpacks to every class. She suggests putting the inhaler in the front pocket of the pants and a pad in the back pocket. Dd wears capris that have a pocket on the side of the leg that she puts her phone in. When I asked if they carried purses, she gave me the eyeroll. According to her no one carries purses anymore at school.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Wouldn't fly here in Aus. The schools always have bags on them, because they don't want to deal with that mess and the students carry their bag all day from class to class. And they must have their puffers on them at all times. I would ring, ask for clarification and if it is a policy against purses, I would ring the parent council and ask if they could start the ball rolling to change it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM
My dd 19 says that too. She hates a purse.

Quoting proudmother5946:

I just asked my dd if they are allowed to carry anything at school. At her school they carry their backpacks to every class. She suggests putting the inhaler in the front pocket of the pants and a pad in the back pocket. Dd wears capris that have a pocket on the side of the leg that she puts her phone in. When I asked if they carried purses, she gave me the eyeroll. According to her no one carries purses anymore at school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Truluv4ever
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Thank_You very much for all of your replies! You ladies are great & you came up with some great ideas! We are going to try ALL of them especially since I have another daughter(11 yrs.) that will be going to the same school next year and at some point she'll be going through this too. I am going to go check the school handbook. I was so mad I didn't even think of it. Thanks Again~

drfink
by Emily on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM

our school didn't allow backpacks.Purses sure.The only thing that would cause me to call the school would be the difficulty in carrying an inhaler.I would imagine a school would have an interest in making sure it was easy for a kid to keep their inhaler with them.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:11 AM
This is a good point. My DD carried an inhaler through middle school and I'm trying to imagine what she would have done without her purse. I don't think it would have fit well in a pants pocket and I'd be afraid of it falling out of a hoodie pocket.

Quoting drfink:

our school didn't allow backpacks.Purses sure.The only thing that would cause me to call the school would be the difficulty in carrying an inhaler.I would imagine a school would have an interest in making sure it was easy for a kid to keep their inhaler with them.

Teletubby836
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I'd check the school handbook and see about the rules. My dd is 14 now and she NEVER carries a purse, I think to her it's just something else to keep up with. If you find that no purse is actually a rule, aske them about the clear purses they have now. Maybe she can carry one of those, her "essentials" can be hiddine between other things. Or get a smaller clutch purse for her bookbag to store all of this stuff in. 

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I yanked my kid out of public school. I do not want her to go to a building against her will where it is obviously so dangerous that she can't have a normal backpack or a purse. That's ridiculous. Kids are treated like second class citizens with no rights. You can't fight the school system but you can choose how your child is educated.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN