Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

NOT ALLOWED to carry a purse in school, WTH!?!?!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I am kinda PO'D!! My daughter is 13 !/2 years old, she started her period last year and she thought it would be a good idea to carry a purse during the day to put all of her essential things in like her feminine products, her inhaler, lunch money ect. WELL, The teachers yelled at her to go put the purse in her locker NOW, You can NOT carry that with you!! I think this is wrong and I want to call the school and *B* them out but I'm not sure if I should, it just really doesn't seem fair!!! What do you ladies think??? Give me some advice~Please!

P.S. This happend the other day and she has been carrying her inhaler & money in her pockets but now with feminine items, it's just too much to stuff in her pockets~

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
drfink
by Emily on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM

yup , our schools really respect the inhaler ...lol...one time my daughter stepped in the hall to use it ,I think the room was stuffy it might have been a lab, and as she was opening it a dean she didn't know walks up ,the dean offered to help and waited till she was ok and asked if she needed to got to the nurse ,she didn't ,after all that was when the dean did the dean thing and asked to glance at the inhaler .They have to ask it's part of the job but waited till my daughter was good before asking to see it.

Quoting fammatthews4:

This is a good point. My DD carried an inhaler through middle school and I'm trying to imagine what she would have done without her purse. I don't think it would have fit well in a pants pocket and I'd be afraid of it falling out of a hoodie pocket.

Quoting drfink:

our school didn't allow backpacks.Purses sure.The only thing that would cause me to call the school would be the difficulty in carrying an inhaler.I would imagine a school would have an interest in making sure it was easy for a kid to keep their inhaler with them.

CampClan
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM

HAHA My ex still refuses to get into a purse! I don't know how many times I have asked him to get me something from my purse & he would just bring the whole purse!

Quoting 02nana07:

I know when I was in school the only privacy was a purse or your pockets anything else was fair game.  In the winter maybe a hoodie pocket but that doesn't help when the weather gets warm

Quoting atlmom2:

Like they don't know this happens.

Quoting 02nana07:

The pencil case is a good idea unless a boy gets it and opens it looking for a pencil

BlueSc00ter
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Most schools no longer allow these things to be carried around, unless you can see through them.  I know it sucks, but it's better than kids concealing weapons!

squeekers
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

our dd's school has zero lockers, so everything is carried everyday by everyone. even when i was in school in the 80's lockers were being fazed out. i guess it just depends on where you are to whether you have lockers or not.

MJP76
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I would go to the school and find out why. Not nessisarily bitch them out, but have an adult conversation about it.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Wow I would be pissed too.  Is it a small purse or a bag purse?

Truluv4ever
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM

fantasticfour, it was a small purse just big enought to hold 1 inhaler, 1 sm. cell phone(turned off til the bell rings), 3 folded $1 bills & 2 thin pads.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I was up thinking about this last night. Did you manage to get to ring the school? if not - I would ring the school, ask for a clarification from the prinicipal and if he says that there is a rule -maybe explain the situation to him, explain that it'd be more convininet for ALL the girls to be allowed to carry a small purse for the reason of their periods and if the staff have any concern well like any thing that gets brought into schools they can ask to see the contents if they're suspicious.

Quoting Truluv4ever:

fantasticfour, it was a small purse just big enought to hold 1 inhaler, 1 sm. cell phone(turned off til the bell rings), 3 folded $1 bills & 2 thin pads.

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Yep.  This has been a rule in several schools around here for years.  Stupid, isn't it?  But they don't trust the kids, and don't want them cheating with phones or notes out of their purses.  

Mine had to carry a pencil box for tampons.  Those were allowed. 

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Does she have permission to carry her inhaler around?  I ask this because schools here require a Docs. note for any and all medication that a student takes.  She might even need a special note saying that she needs to carry her inhaler on her person at all times.  I would really check the school for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)