Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: How can I help my short 17 year old son...

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

How can I help my short 17 year old son who has height problems and is isolating himself.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Is this a duplicate post? I think I just posted a reply in another thread.

amonkeymom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Has he seen a therapist?

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

how short?

MJP76
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM

That's tough.. Boys can be very sensitive about their height. How short is short?

i would have him see a therapist about it, and maybe get him into something (sports wise) to "take out his frustration" so to speak, and make him feel tall... Something like MMA

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM

exactly.

We are short.  My husbands friends (back home in NY) are short.  The majority of men I know well are between 5'3" and 5'10".  But how short is short????  The men I know are Very confident, Very successful, and Very happy.

But I think there would be a difference in dealing with a man who is the hiegth of my friends.... and a man who is short in comparison to women also.

Quoting MJP76:

How short is short?

mt0130
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM

My 18 year old son is only 5'4" tall and although I think it bothers him sometimes, it doesn't limit him from doing things. When we went to get his physical before he went to college the doctor-who is short also asked him if it bothered him that he is short and he said no, the doctor replied "you shouldn't let it bother you, you can still be anything you want to be no matter what your height is, look at me I became a doctor and I'm short!"

My son had no chance of being tall, there is no one tall on either side of the family!

What do you mean about "isolating himself?" My son didn't do much outside of school, but that doesn't mean that height is the issue, maybe he just likes to be alone, that being with his friends at school is enough for him.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM
This seems to be a duplicate post. OP doesn't answer questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM
My 16.5 yr old is 5'4". Boys grow until the are 25. It sounds like it bothers YOU more than him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheltie68
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM

My 16 y.o. son is just 5' 6" but he has never said anything about it.  He is very busy with school, work, and hanging out with friends.  Maybe there is something else going on with your son that really has nothing to do with height?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN