Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

need advice re: 18 yr old daughter

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 33 Replies
My daughter turns 18 this week. She wants to drive down to Ga Tech to visit her friend (who's already a student there - a female) for the weekend. We know her friend and like her. Our daughter is responsible and a good driver. It is about a 50 min drive to GA Tech. She has been there with us (on a college visit), and says she knows the way. My question is: Would you let her go if it were your daughter? Our hesitancy is over safety concerns more than "partying", although I wouldn't completely discount that since it IS her 18th birthday! She will be going off to college this fall, so its just a matter of time anyway before she will be on her own (so to speak), but is she ready YET is my question??? She's waiting for our answer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM

What safety concerns?  For me I think the main question would be how good of a driver is your DD?  Do you think she can handle the drive?  If so I would let her go if it was my DD.

sonyagm
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I think my husband is more confident of her driving than I am, but that's just because I have trouble myself driving downtown. :-) As for safety, I'm just concerned about her getting lost in a bad part of town. Ga Tech is near some sketchy areas. However, like I said, she'll be going off to college soon enough and she has to start driving down there sometime right?
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Lived in Alpharetta before. I would say no for various reasons. All the sudden kids think they are adults the minute they turn 18, lol. They don't act it most of the time. Mine are 21 and 19 now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yes, but how is her driving?

PurpleHazey
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Quoting fammatthews4:

What safety concerns?  For me I think the main question would be how good of a driver is your DD?  Do you think she can handle the drive?  If so I would let her go if it was my DD.

That is how I feel too!

sonyagm
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Actually, her driving is good. She has only driven around town by herself though, not in Atlanta. She has driven on highways with us though and she does good.
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes I would. I see no reason to not allow it.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Could you do a family drive there(with her driving) before she wants to go? That way she will know the route and the roads around the college and you'll be more relaxed about her driving there.

Quoting sonyagm:

Actually, her driving is good. She has only driven around town by herself though, not in Atlanta. She has driven on highways with us though and she does good.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I lived near there. I hate the traffic and only drove in the city a few times. Too scary. I stayed in the suburbs.

Quoting sonyagm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Driving in Atlanta is bad for anyone not sure I would want to drive there especially as a new driver.

I think it would be better if someone else could ride with her just in case anything happened we had a flat there once and it was not good, and my husband was with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN