Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

WOW... just WOW! What am I raising here?! ETA in green

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

ETA because the convo was over 30 comments back & forth I chose not to post the entire status. The friend made a comment about how she thought Poekmon was for 5 year olds not teens & she mentioned playing Call of Duty with her 12 year old. My DS mentioned that CoD has curse words (in another language) in it & she said that neither her nor her son spoke that language so it's irrelevant. My DS pointed out to her that if her DS starts repeating the words, even though he doesn't know the meaning of them, he is still cursing. She jokingly mentioned he (my DS) was not too old to turn over her knee. DS basically said "that's right turn to violence" & that is when she mentioned violence & discipline are 2 different things. THAT is where DS's comment comes into play.

I have my status private otherwise I would paste the link here for you all to read the entire thing.

Backstory- I posted something on FB about how dry it my skin & lips are due to the Ohio weather. My best friend from high school commented on it, as did my 16yo DS. Somehow the convo went from dry skin to Pokemon to being smart & discipline. This is the last comment my DS made:

"It is not the "newest game craze" because the first game came out almost 2 decades ago (in 1996). I have my responsibilities, also, I'll have you know. It doesn't matter if you're offending by them or not because, if Cameron ends up repeating them, he will be cussing. You're right, violence and discipline are 2 different thing. Violence is harming someone for little to no reason. Discipline is offering punishment for wrongdoings. Should the 2 mix (as in spanking a kid)? I don't think they should. There are plenty of other ways to discipline a child that are far more effective than giving the child a reason fear the parent for any reason. I think spanking and such like should only be a valid solution when a child is young (like 0-5), but only as a last resort due to their ignorance to other forms or discipline. I don't need you to remind me that I am smart, but just because you're old doesn't mean you're smarter than me. Remember, I have more access to a plethora of knowledge than you did at your age, and you don't know me at a personal level, so you have no way of judging my level of intelect. Now, with that in mind, the same goes for me. I'm not sure of how smart you really are (though, I could make assumptions based off where you live, how old you are, and the people you associate yourself with), so I don't know if I am indeed smarter or not. I know good grades aren't everything; grades just reflect the amount of effort given into one's schoolwork. I'm aware life offers more education after school, but who says you retained that knowledge? Who says that I can't just find it out myself by, I dunno, the internet? You don't know me, my life, or what I've been through. AND, being "cool" is relative, every person has a different view on what is cool and what is not. Some people say smoking weed and drinking is cool, I do not. So in their eyes, I am not cool, but in mine, they are the idiots of society."

Part of it sounds like a smart alec disrepectful teenager. However, if you really knew my son, he is in no way disrespecting his elders. And he has a level of humor that only certain people can accept & understand. 

** the last comment about smoking weed- yeah he knows my best friend does that hence the reason he put that in there.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I love it!!!!!!

drfink
by Emily on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM

there was very little smart alek about the response.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I think you have a very intelligent son.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Idk, I think I would have to know a lot more of the back story to judge if that was more smart a** or smart kid? Glad he's not doing drugs, ect but it did sound like he was putting you down and your education level (or your friend) like I said tough to make a judgement from just that or any fb post really
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I'm thinking the adult tried to be a smart ass to him so he responded to her comments. And he did an awesome job! Good for him.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I'm impressed. Putting someone nicely in their place w/ just a touch of sarcasm is what I got from it.

CampClan
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

BTW I was "afraid" to post this in another group because you all know how the women there can be. I'd probably get ripped a new one for allowing my DS to talk like that to an adult! But then again- some of the things he said has been mentioned in that group before (spanking issue).

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Your son is amazing!!! Smart young man.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jandhmommy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Intelligent response.   And if your son still likes Pokemon, who cares.  They are kinda cute, aren't they.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)