Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have always found this odd....

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 15 Replies

They give the high school exit exam to the sophomores.... the vast majority pass.... so what does that say about our standards????

because someone will bring it up....

I do understand that some kids dont pass (there is always a couple exceptions to the norm).  And I also understand that they give them to them when they are young so that if they dont pass they still have time to.  But I still find it odd.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
02nana07
by Ida on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I know some who still didn't pass as seniors in that case they get a certificate of attendance.  I guess they just want to try to make sure everyone passes.  If you pass the 1st time you only have to take it again if you want to approve your score

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM
From what I know of exit exams they are on freshman level. They have 3 years to pass and sadly it takes 3 years for many kids. We do not have them here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM
We don't have exit exams at my sons high school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzgirl205
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd's high sch. doesn't give many standardized tests.  They think it interferes with education.  I tend to agree.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM
No exit exams here in Michigan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM
One of the many reasons we homeschool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

We had the high school compentency test in our high school, given to juniors at the beginning of the year.  Most did NOT pass it.  In fact, during the senior year, they were given 4 shots of passing it.  No idea what happened if you didn't

drfink
by Emily on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Our exit exams are the end of the jr year.Most pass ,then there are EOC 's every year.Seniors do not have to take them if the grade in the course is a 3.25 or above.Don't pass the EOC  each year and I think they have summer school.I haven't really paid attention to what happens if someone fails.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Our state was thankfully able to get rid of them when they were able to get rid of the No Child Left Behind craziness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I graduated from high school in SC and we had an exit exam. You took iti n your jr year. If passed, no big deal. If failed, you tried again your sr year three times. Fail all three times and you don't graduate and repeat that grade. Now I'm in Georgia. Public shools have the CRCT in elem, middle, and high school. If you fail it, you can retake it one time. If you fail again, you have to repeat that grade. I don't know if they have exit exams. We have a huge illiteracy problem so I think it is a good idea. Now if we could get the school boards to stop having eraser parties so the parents truly know if their child is ready to advance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)