Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Is a Teacher's Behavior In Their Downtime Any of Our Business?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 19 Replies

Raunchy Math Teacher Shows Her Students What Not to Do on Twitter

Posted by Janelle Harris

Carly McKinney
So moms (and a handful of dads), did you hear about Carly McKinney? Ms. McKinney to some of her students at Overland High School in Aurora, Colorado, “Ms. McCutie” to the cleverly flirtatious guys there? Don’t know her by face? Maybe you’ll recognize her by her booty. It is Twitter famous, after all.

The 23-year-old math teacher is on paid administrative leave after she posted pics of herself twerking—which is basically acrobatic rump shaking if you’re not familiar—on social media. Now that would be tacky for any woman because, you know, we’ve all heard the warnings about sexting naked pics and posting salacious body shots online, lest they end up who-knows-where. Worst case scenario in the hands of some grimy perv, a vindictive blackmailer… or your boss.

Which brings me back to Carly McKinney. Some more of her work:
Not to mention her openly bragging about being high and getting crunk.

Once upon a time, maybe a generation or so ago, students made great sport of creating elaborate stories about their teachers’ personal lives. Rumors were born in snippets of juicy gossip whispered across the aisles and aside from maybe a random siting of a spouse or the manufactured romance between two single folks spotted coming out of the teachers’ lounge together, no one really knew what was going on with them.

Then Twitter was born and now topless math teachers are doing stripper dances in their panties. I imagine it’s kinda hard to focus on algebraic equations when you know what the instructor looks like half-naked. (Thank God I got out of high school before the social media craze. Mr. Trimmer shirtless? No. thanks. I was having a hard enough time passing calculus as it was.)

McKinney’s original Twitter page, @Crunk_Bear, has been taken down and a dummy page is in its place which, according to one tweet, picked up 4,000 followers in a day. But more than 18,000 followers total is a testament to the power of the emerging #FreeCrunkBear movement that’s building in her honor. And what a pitiful movement that is. Then again, it is being led by teenagers who see nothing wrong with what she did. They relate to her on a personal level, one student said. Understandable, since that’s something that a 16 or 17-year-old would probably do.

Look, it takes a certain level of maturity to be a teacher, because you are in a fact an authority figure and maybe even a role model. And if you’re behaving on the same level as the kids you’re charged with educating and it becomes hard to tell the students from the teachers, then maybe being an educator just ain’t your thing. Maybe she has a little growing up to do first.

Is a teacher’s behavior in their downtime any of our business?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jandhmommy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, it sure is when they post it in the public domain!  I would definitely say she has some growing up to do before she educates our kids.  While it is the parents' responsibility to teach children right from wrong, when they spend 35 hours a week at school, I would hope the educators are modeling good behavior also.

sunflowers12
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM
No, as long as their not breaking laws or offending ppl... But if you take naked pics if your self and post them on line I would have to say something up with the thinking process!! If that's the type of behavior you want to engage in as an adult then it should only be used around other adults!!! not teenage boys!!' I do think that this is or has become a bigger problem in the recent years...I also think the younger the teacher she/ he should have to do more time with all age students putting a female teachers that's only five years older then her students kinda is not enough to keep them away from one another it seems its almost like a teacher needs a teacher to watch over them and help them make better decisions at times...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bertieb
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
5 moms liked this

There needs to be something new in employment contracts that addresses these type of public behaviors. It is wrong for the students to be exposed to, and it's an embarrassment for the employer in my opinion. You would think this woman would be ashamed for her coworkers to see these and the parents of her students. It's sad, immature, and not befitting a role model. And I'm sorry, but yes, teachers are a roll model whether they consider that part of their job or not.

tyfry7496
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, their life their business. As long as she's not bringing it into the classroom it's her life. As long as she's not breaking an employment contract either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperLooneyMom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Agreed. But stuff like that should be private. With all of the nonsense over sexual orientation and politics this should stay private as well. No one needs to know that crap. I do t care what instructors do in their private life. Just don't share it with no disclosure. Gross.

Quoting tyfry7496:

Sorry, their life their business. As long as she's not bringing it into the classroom it's her life. As long as she's not breaking an employment contract either.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anneliesemommy2
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

No I think she was not harming anyone and we all have skeletons and secrets.. Teachers are nothing more than human beings and I am tired of people being on a damn high horse about.. How about we start taking kids away from moms who read 50 shades of grey.. it is nothing more than erotica and poorly written at that. That shows poor choices on the moms behalf jfs 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I'm torn on this.  On the one hand I think her it's her business what she posts on the internet.

On the other hand if teens are following her and seeing these pictures (pictures of a type their parents have told them not to post) they are going to be more likely to not listen to their parents.  

Also can't this pics be considered sexting?  It seems that way to me.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I think their personal life is their business. However, they can cross a line. This teacher crossed a line. Mainly for stating that she was high which I assume admission to doing something illegal. 

My BFF is a teacher and she is very careful about the internet. It's a little sad that she can't get on her personal FB page and say "I had a crappy day. I need a glass of wine and a bubble bath". But she can't. That is wrong imo.

Bertieb
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

It's not a skeleton or secret though when it's posted for her students to find and see. I think teachers deserve a private life, but just that "private". You don't post photos in this day and age without knowing they will spread and everybody will see them. That is usually the whole point of fb, instagram, twitter photos, and cell phone photos. A mom reading a novel in the privacy of her bedroom is her business, not the same thing at all.

Quoting anneliesemommy2:

No I think she was not harming anyone and we all have skeletons and secrets.. Teachers are nothing more than human beings and I am tired of people being on a damn high horse about.. How about we start taking kids away from moms who read 50 shades of grey.. it is nothing more than erotica and poorly written at that. That shows poor choices on the moms behalf jfs 

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I feel as long as she/he is a good teacher and they dont act this was in classroom it is none of our business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN