Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you worry??? OR am I a worry wort?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'll try to make this short.....our (almost 16 year old daughter) just recently (2 weeks ago) broke up with her first "serious" boyfriend.....it was a kind breakup....they still text and talk.  While they were still together, they introduced some of his friends to her friends (he's almost 17)....their friends started dating....now my daughter is being left out of EVERYTHING...yet, when she and FRED (not his real name) were dating, they included their (then single) friends into a lot that they did....it didn't matter to them that their friends were single....NOW that SHE is the single one, apparently it matters.

Her 2 best friends are guys...and they are the only friends she talks to ....no girls.  Our daughter is fairly popular, athletic, smart....and has many aquaintances, but apparently not many good girlfriends....I'm SO worried, because to me, she appears to be OK with doing NOTHING....weekends...she's with us....she texts her 2 buddies....but goes no where....does nothinlg.

I've asked her to talk to me and tell me what I can do to help....and she says "Mom, stop worrying...I'm FINE"......but is it NORMAL to just sit around and do nothing at her age?  I'm worried.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Replies (11-16):
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I agree it's just a normal transition time.

Quoting mumsy2three:

I think it's normal. Give it time and lend an ear and shoulder if she needs it. She'll hang out with friends when she's ready to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I think it's normal too. I agree with letting her know that you're there for her, but don't pressure her to go out.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Don't worry.   This is something she needs to work out on her own.    You can't choose her friends.   She doesn't sound like she is suffering, so don't borrow trouble.

aw119
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I have asked a similar question about my daughter (stays home on weekends, but not the same reasons as yours) and have seen so many responses that it is ok to do that and not pressure them to go out. And many people are in similar situations so I think it is actually normal (of course there are days I still have to try to convince myself that is true). My daughter is happy as far as I can tell. I think I have a problem because I was always out when I was her age, so it is difficult for me to understand. We just have to back off unless it seems they get depressed.

LoveonHollySt
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

She will be fine.  Relationships change things all of the time and I highly doubt that this one will last for too long.  When it doesn't things will go back to how they were.

3mom627
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM

My 18 year old regretfully does the same thing. She is not very popular. If she says she is fine and seems ok, then don't worry. If she seems depressed, crying, etc., then worry. Girls mood swings are horrible, but she sounds like it is under control.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)